• Grants and Scholarships

    Grants and scholarships are both forms of gift aid that you will not need to pay back. Gift aid can come from Hamline, the MN State Government, the Federal Government, or outside sources. Please use this menu to click for more details about various programs available.

    Hamline Gift Aid
    State Gift Aid
    Federal Gift Aid
    Outside Gift Aid
    General Information regarding Grants and Scholarships

    Hamline Gift Aid

    For Undergraduate Students
    Hamline University is the largest single source of grant and scholarship assistance for undergraduate students. Students must maintain full-time status to be eligible for a Hamline sponsored grant or scholarship assistance. Students are normally allowed grant and scholarship assistance up to eight cumulative terms, including all previous post-secondary work.

    View a full list of merit-based scholarships for incoming students.

    For Master and Graduate Certificates Students
    Hamline offers some scholarships to help graduate and graduate certificate students finance the cost of their education.

    Explore our graduate scholarship and discount opportunities.

    State Gift Aid

    Minnesota State Grants for Undergraduate and Online Bachelor's Degree Completion Students
    Minnesota State Grants are given by the State of Minnesota. Students are eligible for State Grant for the equivalent of eight full time semesters in total. This total includes all previous post-secondary credits attempted or earned at other institutions. The amount listed on the award letter is an estimate until the state officially confirms award values for students.

    The estimated grant is based on full-time enrollment of 15 credits per semester and will be pro-rated if registered for less. Beginning in the Fall 2021 semester, winter term credits will be combined with spring semester to determine your spring State Grant eligibility.

    Your eligibility to participate in the Minnesota State Grant Program is dependent on timely submission of your FAFSA. You can learn more about how to complete the FAFSA by viewing our How to Apply for Financial Aid page. Failing to have your FAFSA received by the required deadline will result in a loss of funds for the term(s) in question. The deadlines for Hamline students are as follows:

    Minnesota State Grant program deadlines for the 2022-2023 academic year:

    Undergraduate program:

    • Fall 2022: September 27, 2022
    • Spring 2023: February 21, 2023
    • Summer 2023: July 4, 2023

    Online Bachelor's Degree Completion program:

    • Fall 2022: September 27, 2022
    • Spring 2023: February 1, 2023
    • Summer 2023: May 30, 2023

    Minnesota State Grant Program Deadlines for the 2021-2022 academic year:

    Undergraduate program:

    • Fall 2021: September 30, 2021
    • Spring 2022: February 24, 2022
    • Summer 2022: July 5, 2022

    Online Bachelor's Degree Completion program:

    • Fall 2021: September 28, 2021
    • Spring 2022: February 1, 2022
    • Summer 2022: May 31, 2022

    Minnesota Student Teacher Grant for Undergraduate and Graduate Students

    The Minnesota Student Teacher Grants (formerly the Teacher Candidate Grant Program) has been divided into two grants; the Minnesota Student Teacher Grants in Shortage Areas and the Underrepresented Student Teacher Grants, which provide financial assistance to students during the term they are student teaching. The fund is limited in size, thus not guaranteed. As long as your application is submitted before the deadline, your application will be considered for a grant. Eligible students who apply after the deadline will only receive the grant if there are any funds left over after the initial round of awards. Eligibility determination made and communicated to students by the Minnesota Office of Higher Education.

    Priority deadlines for these grants will be July 31st, 2021 for Fall Semester 2021 and November 12th, 2021 for Spring Semester 2022. Note: You may apply prior to your student teaching placement. See the Minnesota Office of Higher Education website for the application and specific guidelines. Teacher candidates who belong to a racial or ethnic group underrepresented in the Minnesota teacher workforce are given priority in the awarding process and are encouraged to apply.

    IMPORTANT: It is the STUDENT'S responsibility to inform the institution that an application has been completed, and requires a University Section to be completed on their behalf. If the University Section of the application is not completed, the application is considered incomplete. Please inform Hamline of your completed application by emailing finaid@hamline.edu.

    Minnesota Aspiring Teachers of Color Scholarship Pilot Program

    Minnesota Aspiring Teachers of Color Scholarship Pilot Program provides postsecondary financial assistance to eligible undergraduate and graduate students who are preparing to become teachers, have demonstrated financial need, and belong to racial or ethnic groups underrepresented in the state’s teacher workforce.

    Who is Eligible?

    To be eligible, students must:

    • Be enrolled at an eligible institution located in Minnesota in a:
      • Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB) approved teacher preparation program seeking initial licensure; or
      • Two-year program specifically designed to prepare early childhood educators;
    • Be a person of color or American Indian;
    • Be meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements as defined by the institution;
    • Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or MN Dream Act application for aid year; and
    • Demonstrate financial need.

    You can click here for more details:

    2022-2023 Minnesota Aspiring Teachers of Color Scholarship Application

    Once the student section is complete:

    • Send the application to the Fin Aid and we will complete the school application part and send both the student and school applications to OHE.


    • Send the student application directly to the OHE and NOTIFY FIN AID OFFICE, so we can complete the school part (if they do not notify us they sent in their application in, it could delay a completed application)

    The Priority Deadline for the 2022-2023 application is June 17th, 2022. Eligible students with complete applications (complete application = Student Section + College or University Section) on file by this date will be considered for awards (please refer to the manual in the case there is not enough funding for all eligible applicants). Applications will still be accepted after this date but students are much less likely to be awarded depending on the availability of funds.

    Minnesota Indian Scholarship Program (MISP)

    A scholarship for the citizens and enrolled members of federally recognized tribes or Canadian First Nations, regardless of degree of ancestry or "blood quantum". Students continue to be eligible for this scholarship if they possess one-fourth or more American Indian ancestry from on or more federally recognized tribe or Canadian First Nation.

    Scholarships are available to eligible Indian undergraduate students enrolled at least 3/4 time, and graduate students enrolled at least half-time.

    In order to qualify for the scholarship, you must be:

    • One-fourth or more American Indian, or be an enrolled member or citizen of a federally-recognized American Indian tribe or Canadian First Nation.
    • A Minnesota Resident
    • Enrolled in an accredited college, university, or vocational school in Minnesota
    • An undergraduate student who qualifies for either a Pell or State Grant and demonstrates financial need, or a graduate student who demonstrates financial need
    Students must demonstrate they meet the American Indian ancestry requirement for MISP by submitting documentation to the MN Office of Higher Education that meets all of the following:
    • Issued by a tribe, Canadian First Nation, or other official government office
    • Includes student's name and date of birth
    • Lists the student's blood quantum or degree of American Indian ancestry OR clearly states student is an enrolled member or citizen of a federally recognized American Indian tribe or Canadian First Nation.
    Students can receive full year awards for up to three semesters. Please visit the MN Office of Higher Education website for more information!

    Minnesota GI Bill® for Undergraduate and Graduate Students
    The Minnesota GI Bill® provides financial assistance to Minnesota veterans and service members as well as eligible spouses and children of deceased or severely disabled eligible Minnesota veterans. Full-time undergraduate or graduate students may be eligible to receive up to $3,000 per year and part-time students can receive up to $500 per term for a maximum of $10,000.

    Students can learn more and complete an online application at the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs website.

    More information is also available by calling the Minnesota Office of Higher Education at 651-642-0675 or by contacting a regional representative of the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs.

    Minnesota Postsecondary Child Care Grant for Undergraduate Students
    The Minnesota Postsecondary Child Care Grant program offers small grants to eligible low-income students with young children to help pay for child care while the student attends classes. To be eligible, students must be Minnesota residents, be enrolled for at least six credits per term, not have ten semesters of postsecondary education or five years full-time or equivalent, not have defaulted on a student loan, and the student must not be receiving assistance from the Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP).

    The maximum available to a full-time student is $6,500 for each eligible child per academic year. The amount of child care assistance depends on: the number of people in the student's household, the number of day care hours necessary to cover education and work obligations, income of the applicant and spouse, the availability of funding, and the student's enrollment status.

    To start your application, please click on the appropriate year's application below:

    2022-2023 Postsecondary Child Care Grant Application

    2021-2022 Postsecondary Child Care Grant Application

    MN Dream Act and/or Qualifying DACA Students

    Undocumented students can apply for state financial aid by accessing the online MN Dream Act - State Financial Aid application. To be eligible for the MN State Grant, the application must be submitted no later than the 30th day of the term.

    The MN Dream Act application should be submitted once for each academic year the student is enrolled in college.

    Federal Gift Aid

    Federal TEACH Grant for Master and Undergraduate Students
    The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides up to $1,862 per semester in grants to graduate and undergraduate students who intend to teach full-time in high-need subject areas for at least four years at schools that serve students from low-income families. Students enrolled in TEACH Grant-approved programs may receive up to $16,000 for undergraduate study and up to $8,000 for graduate study.

    Please note: If you fail to meet the 4-year teaching obligation within 8 years of completing or ceasing your degree program, your grant will convert to an unsubsidized Stafford loan. This loan will have to be repaid with interest accrued from the date the grant funds were first disbursed. You can visit the Federal Student Aid TEACH Grant website for more information about the TEACH Grant Program.

    To start your application, please click on the appropriate year's application below:

    2022-2023 Federal TEACH Grant Application

    2021-2022 Federal TEACH Grant Application

    Federal Pell/SEOG for Undergraduate and Online Bachelor's Degree Completion Students
    The Federal Pell and SEOG grants are federally funded grants that are credited to your student account after the Financial Aid Office verifies your information with the federal processor.

    Students are limited to 12 semesters (or 600%) of Pell Grant eligibility. If you have attended college for 4 years or longer, receiving the Pell Grant each year, you are likely to exhaust or have already exhausted your lifetime limit of 12 semesters of Pell Grant eligibility. If you have attended college and received the Pell Grant for 3 years or less you will likely not surpass the lifetime limit during the upcoming school year. Whether you have used all of your Pell Grant eligibility or only half, please be conscious about the lifetime limit of the Pell Grant when changing majors and/or scheduling classes.

    You may view your percentage of Pell Grant used by logging into StudentAid.gov. Click the large Log In button on the main page, sign in with your FSA ID and Password, and once you are signed in, you will see Grant History. Click the View Details button to see more in-depth information regarding your Pell Grant usage. 

    Outside Gift Aid

    Outside Gift Aid for All Student Types
    Grants and scholarships can be applied for through a large variety of outside sources.  All outside scholarships, grants, and resources you receive must be reported to the Financial Aid Office. Outside grants may reduce the self-help portion of your financial aid award.

    For a list of scholarships Hamline is aware of, along with a list of great search sites, please visit our list of outside scholarships.  

    United Methodist Scholarships and Loans for Undergraduate Students

    These United Methodist Funds are only available to undergraduate students who are members of the United Methodist Church.

    When are Grants and Scholarships Credited to Your Account?

    Financial aid will be disbursed approximately two weeks after the start of each term, to allow the Financial Aid Office to adjust aid packages to reflect actual enrollment after the Add/Drop period. This ensures the financial aid packages and credit refunds are more accurate. Credit refunds are processed no later than 14 days after a credit balance is shown on a student's account. J-Term/Winter and Spring enrollment will be combined and are considered to be the Spring Term for aid disbursement.

    Award Letter Changes and Revisions

    In the event that we receive new or additional information including, but not limited to housing, outside funding or enrollment, your financial aid is subject to change. Any Hamline merit and/or need based scholarships and grants my be funded by a named donor scholarship. Students will retain the honorary winner of the original award. An e-mail will be sent to your Hamline email account. If at any time you would like a paper copy of your financial aid award, you may request one at Student Administrative Services.

    Enrollment Status

    NOTE: Only courses required for your program count in the Financial Aid Enrollment Status.

    Undergraduate, Post baccalaureate, Online Bachelor's Degree Completion, and teaching licensure

    Half-time*: At least 6 credits per semester.
    Full-time: At least 12 credits per semester.
    State Grant: At least 15 credits per semester for full award.

    Master, Graduate Certificates, and Doctorate Programs

    Half-time*: At least 4 credits per semester.
    Full-time: At least 8 credits per semester.