Grants and Scholarships

Student in Anderson Center, studying

Financial support for all

Grants and scholarships are two forms of gift aid that you don’t need to pay back. Gift aid can come from Hamline, the Minnesota State government, the federal government, or outside sources.

Students must maintain full-time status to be eligible for a Hamline-sponsored grant or scholarship assistance, while other forms of aid require half-time status. You can verify your enrollment status by checking the table below.

Please note that only courses required for your program count toward your enrollment status for financial aid. Students are no longer eligible for federal or state funding after they complete all the academic requirements for their program (i.e., BA, BS, or BBA), regardless if they select not to receive that degree for reasons such as adding a second major, minor, etc.


Determine your enrollment status

Program types

Enrollment status

Credit requirement

Undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, online bachelor’s, teaching licensure

Half-time At least 6 credits per semester
Full-time At least 12 credits per semester
Full-time (for state grants) At least 15 credits per semester for full reward
Master’s, doctorate, graduate certificates Half-time At least 4 credits per semester
Full-time At least 8 credits per semester

Hamline gift aid and scholarships

A group of four first-year Hamline students smiling and taking a selfie on campus

First-year scholarships

Merit scholarships are awarded based on your admission materials—no separate application needed! Additional support of up to $5,000 is also available.

Three Hamline students walking on campus and smiling

Transfer scholarships

On-campus transfer students can get up to $27,000 for academic achievement. We have awards for Phi Theta Kappa, heritage applicants, and first-generation students too.

A smiling Hamline international student walking in a group of students on campus

International undergraduate scholarships

Incoming international students are eligible for scholarships based on academic excellence (up to $25,000 per year), talent across disciplines, ESL program completion, and more.

a group of Hamline MBA graduate students gathered in a conference room talking

Graduate scholarships

If you’re a master’s or doctoral degree-seeking student, you have options for financing your education. See what scholarships your program offers.

Three undergraduate students sitting outside at table on Hamline University campus, one with laptop

Outside scholarships for all students

Our growing list of outside scholarships can help you find extra funding. Explore your options and learn how we disburse these third-party awards.

When are grants and scholarships credited?

Financial aid will be disbursed approximately two weeks after the start of each term. This ensures accuracy, allowing the Financial Aid Office to adjust aid packages to reflect actual enrollment after the Add/Drop period. Credit refunds are processed no later than 14 days after a credit balance is shown on a student's account. J-Term/Winter and Spring enrollment will be combined and considered as Spring Term for aid disbursement purposes.

Financial aid offer changes and revisions

If we receive new or additional information about your housing, outside funding, enrollment status, etc., your financial aid is subject to change. Any Hamline merit and/or need-based scholarships and grants may be funded by a named donor scholarship. Students will retain the honorary winner of the original award. An email will be sent to your Hamline email account. If you ever need a paper copy of your financial aid offer, you may request one from Student Administrative Services.


State gift aid

Minnesota State Grants for undergraduate and online bachelor’s degree completion students

Minnesota Student Teacher Grant

Minnesota Indian Scholarship Program

Minnesota GI Bill®

Minnesota Postsecondary Child Care Grant

Minnesota Dream Act and/or qualifying DACA students

Minnesota Fostering Independence Higher Education Grants

MN Education and Training Voucher (ETV)

Public Safety Officer’s Survivor Grant

Federal gift aid

Federal TEACH Grant for undergraduate and master’s students

Federal Pell/SEOG for undergraduate and online bachelor's degree completion students