Use of Hamline Vehicles
Office of Public Safety
Only those employees, students, and volunteers who meet the following conditions may operate a Covered Vehicle:
- Must be at least 19 years old
- Must have a valid driver’s license on file with the Office of Public Safety Services
- Must have a current Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) report on file with the Office of Public Safety Services, which is updated annually. Visit the Minnesota DMV website for more information on obtaining a driving record from the Minnesota DMV.
- Authorized drivers are under an ongoing affirmative duty to report any material changes in their driving record (e.g., new moving violation) or licensure status (e.g., suspension or revocation) to the Office of Public Safety Services
- No more than two moving violations in the previous three years
- No more than two accidents involving Covered Vehicles in three years
- Successfully complete Hamline’s Vehicle Use Training
- Review the Hamline's Vehicle Use Policy (Google Doc) and agree to the terms in the Google Form below during certification
Each employee or student requesting permission to operate a Covered Vehicle will obtain their own driving record from the DMV. Any subsequent accidents or violations may require further training or revocation of privilege to operate a Hamline University Covered Vehicle. All driving records obtained will be considered confidential information.
All drivers who submit their driving records and complete the required training will receive an electronic copy of this policy and are responsible for complying with the requirements.
Refer to Hamline's Vehicle Use Policy (Google Doc) for details.
If you wish to be certified, please fill out the Hamline van certification Google Form.
Note: This process can take up to three weeks, so please plan accordingly.
Vans may be rented by Hamline campus departments, athletics, and clubs and organizations for legitimate, college-based purposes.
Hamline University maintains a small fleet of vehicles that may be rented by Hamline campus departments, athletics and clubs and organizations for legitimate, college-based purposes. Campus-owned vehicles may not be rented for personal use. Vehicle reservations must be made by completing the Hamline van reservation Google Form. Trips of more than 450 miles one-way must be approved by the Dean of Students per the Student Travel Policy.
The following information is required when requesting Hamline van(s):
- Number of vans (each van will need a separate form filled out)
- Date of departure
- Time of departure
- Date of return
- Time of return
- Destination of trip (city or address)
- Department or organization name
- Complete budget number
- Name of the driver(s)
If you are van certified and wish to reserve a van, please fill out the Hamline van reservation Google Form.
Who may rent a vehicle?
Only van-certified drivers may request a van reservation. However, authorization from the requester's department head or organization chairperson is required to submit verification to complete the process. For student groups the requester should coordinate a van request through the Student Involvement Center in the Anderson Center room 319. Campus recreation related requests must be approved by the Campus Recreation Budget Authority.
Vehicle rental costs
Vehicle rentals are billed to the sponsoring department or campus organization on a monthly basis using the budget number that is provided.
A 12-person van (driver and 11 passengers) is charged $1.00 per mile and a flat daily rate of $45 per van per day.
Van reservations may be canceled before the time of the reservation without any charge. If the van reservation is canceled after the van reservation start time, the department or organization will be charged the minimum amount of the vehicle rental fee for that reservation. This also applies to a no-call/no-show. A cancelation request must be submitted by email to the Public Safety Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. It is the responsibility of the van requester and/or group to properly cancel the van reservation(s) in due time to not incur any charges.
The van fuel price is included with the price of the van rental for local trips. Vans will have (at minimum) three quarters of a tank of fuel daily. For trips that use all the van fuel, the department or organization is responsible to refuel the van(s) enough to return the vehicle to campus.
Vans are on a first come, first serve basis. If no vans are available, Hamline Public Safety does not provide alternative transportation.
The vans are shared vehicles and the interiors of the vans are to be kept clean by each group of users. Each group is expected to clean up after themselves after use. If the vans are found to be in unfavorable conditions, the group will be charged an additional $50 cleaning fee.
The Office of Public Safety can deny van use in case of inclement weather per the Hamline Vehicle Use policy.
Office of Public Safety