Hamline emergency procedures
The purpose of the procedure is to provide guidance on the orderly evacuation of a university building during a drill or emergency. This procedure applies to academic and administrative university buildings.
Faculty and staff shall take these measures before a drill or emergency:
- Review evacuation plans
- Review the evacuation plan of any mobility impaired person. Disability Services can assist in developing a plan
- Identify the quickest emergency escape route; this will be the primary escape route
- Identify an alternate route in case the primary route is inaccessible
- Identify the designated assembly area(s) where the class or work group can meet and ensure that everyone is accounted for
- Review this information with each class and work group
When a fire alarm sounds
- Organize the people in your room/area
- Count the number of people present
- Advise the group to immediately proceed to the designated assembly area for your building
- Assist mobility-impaired persons in accordance with their individual evacuation plan
- Carry a roster of persons present, if possible
- Evacuate using the nearest safe route
- With evacuation underway, quickly check the area to make certain that no one is left behind
- If anyone is unable to evacuate, it is critical that their location and condition be reported to responding emergency personnel or safety and security services as soon as possible
- If the closest evacuation route should become blocked, carefully reroute evacuees to another available exit
- Do not use elevators unless specifically instructed to do so
- When you reach the designated assembly area, get a complete head count of your group
- If you discover any persons missing, who may still be in the building, immediately notify the nearest security officer or emergency personnel
- Do not re-enter the building
- Report your building and room number and the number of missing persons to emergency response personnel
- Keep everyone together and remain in the assembly area unless instructed to leave or assemble elsewhere
- Re-entry into the building is not permitted unless authorized by security or emergency response personnel
For the most up-to-date information, view a local or national weather broadcasting channel or website.
Watches are issued when conditions are favorable for severe weather or tornadoes.
Warnings are issued when severe weather has been reported or a tornado has been spotted.
The Office of Safety and Security Services has the authority to instruct faculty, staff, students and visitors to seek appropriate shelter for the duration of the warning.
Severe weather shelters
Building Address Shelter location Bookstore 722 Snelling Avenue Basement 734 Snelling Avenue 734 Snelling Avenue Back kitchen area 736 Snelling Avenue 736 Snelling Avenue Basement 740 Snelling Avenue 740 Snelling Avenue Basement of 742 Snelling 742 Snelling Avenue 742 Snelling Avenue Basement Second Language House 845 Snelling Avenue Basement interior rooms away from windows Alumni House 749 Simpson Street Basement interior rooms away from windows Anderson Center 774 Snelling Avenue Parking ramp away from entrance doors Bush Memorial Library 1518 Hewitt Avenue Basement away from center stairway and glass Bush Center 1551 Hewitt Avenue Basement away from glass or Walker Field House shelter areas Central Plant 805 Simpson Street Basement tunnels Central Plant/IT 805 Simpson Street Basement of Drew Science Center Drew Fine Arts 1530 Taylor Avenue First floor bathrooms or Anne Simley Theater Drew Science Center 1540 Hewitt Avenue Basement hallway East Hall 1492 Hewitt Avenue Basement classrooms, hallways away from glass Englewood Building 1564 Englewood Avenue Basement interior rooms and under stairs Facilities Services Building 1481 Taylor Avenue Drew Hall Basement Giddens/Alumni Learning Center 1556 Hewitt Avenue Rooms 1S and 100E Creative Writing 1500 Englewood Avenue Basement interior rooms away from windows Hutton Arena 1569 Hewitt Avenue Basement restrooms and locker rooms or Walker Field House shelter areas Klas Center 1535 Taylor Avenue Basement hallway and locker rooms or Walker Field House shelter areas West Hall 1492 Hewitt Avenue North and south sides of basement hallways, away from glass in the lounge area Old Main 1536 Hewitt Avenue Basement hallway or Drew Science Center basement hallway Robbins Science Center 800 Snelling Avenue Basement rooms away from glass Studio A/B 1495 Taylor Avenue Drew Hall Basement Studio C 1495 Taylor Avenue Drew Hall Basement Sundin Music Hall 1531 Hewitt Avenue Anne Simley Theater in Drew Fine Arts Undergraduate Admission 833 Snelling Avenue Basement away from windows Walker Field House 1550 Taylor Avenue Basement offices, interior hallways
If snow is present, there will be no overnight parking in the following lots on the indicated days from 11 p.m. until 7 a.m. the following morning.
(behind Drew Hall)
(Heights/East Hall/School of Business)
(small faculty/staff lot behind Mulkern Court)
(small lot on corner of Hewitt and Pascal)
(facilities Services lot on Taylor)
(apartments surface lot)
(behind Walker Fieldhouse on Taylor Avenue)
Vehicles in violation in these lots may be ticketed and towed. The ticket cost is $30.
No overnight parking is allowed in the Undergraduate Admissions Lot.
Saint Paul snow emergency plow routesImage