In the event of weather warnings, weather closings and delays, or an on-campus emergency, the Hamline community can receive a Hamline Alert with up-to-date information and instructions. Hamline Alerts are part of a mass notifications system, Blackboard Connect, that enables university officials to reach students and employees with personalized messages to enhance safety and preparedness. Messages are sent via text message, voicemail, and/or email.
If you are a member of the Hamline community and would like to update your contact information, or if you would also like a family member to receive these alerts, please follow the instructions below to create an account and log into the Hamline Alert/Blackboard Connect portal. Please also make sure your most recent contact information is included in your Piperline account. Hamline community members are automatically opted into this system.
Creating an account on the Hamline Alert portal
- Go to your Hamline Alert portal.
- Select "Sign Me Up."
- Enter your first and last name.
- Enter your Hamline.edu email address.
- Select "Continue."
- Choose a password.
- Your password must have at least eight characters and include one number and one capital letter
- Spaces and special characters are not permitted
- Your password will need to be updated annually
- A confirmation email from email@example.com will be sent to the email address you have provided. If you do not receive this email, check your spam or junk folder.
- Once you receive the email, select the link provided to be redirected to a security page where you will select and answer your security questions. These questions will be used in the event that you forget your password.
- Choose a security question from each of the three dropdown boxes and provide answers. Make sure you provide an answer you will remember. Select "Save" when you’re done.
- If you have successfully provided your answers to the security questions, you will be presented with a confirmation screen. Select "Login" to continue to the login screen.
Logging in for the first time
- Go to the Hamline Alert portal homepage.
- Log in with your email and password.
- When prompted to enter your identification code, enter your Hamline ID number.
- Enter your phone number or email address when prompted. The system will look for the contact record and display the match.
- Select the "Associate" button.
- Once you have associated your portal account with Hamline Alert/Blackboard Connect, you will be redirected to your portal account.
- Select the "Edit Contact Information" link to be redirected to your contact information screen, where you can update your contact information.
Navigating the Connect portal
When you first log into your portal account you will see your portal homepage. From this page you can view your message history or navigate to manage your contact information.
- Edit Contact Information: Select this link to be redirected to your contact information screen where you can update your contact information.
- Message History: Review and read the most recent notifications sent to you.
- Navigation Menu: To navigate the portal site, select your name in the top right corner of your screen and select one of the following options:
- Contact Info: Select this option to manage your contact information.
- Subscriptions: View which phone numbers you have on file and what type of messages those numbers are set up to receive.
- User Settings: Update your password and login email or delete your account using this option.
- Sign Out: Select this option to sign out of your portal account.
- Select "Home" on any page to return to the home page.
If you have further questions about Hamline Alerts or our new portal, please refer to our frequently asked questions below or call Hamline Public Safety at 651-523-2100.
Hamline Alert FAQ
Your text-enabled phone number is put into the system and the Hamline Alert/Blackboard Connect service will automatically send a text message to your mobile phone to confirm your request.
All confirmation text messages and subsequent alerts will come from 23177 or 63079. Please save this number and label it as "Hamline Alert" so you can quickly recognize this number as the official source of our messages.
The confirmation message will read the following:
“You have opted-in to receive messages to your device. For more info reply “HELP”. To opt out, visit Portal or reply “STOP PORTAL”. Msg&data rates may apply.”
If you text reply HELP, you will receive the following message:
“BbConnect Notify Alerts: 2msgs/mo. Msg&data rates may apply. Reply STOP to cancel. Info: www.blackboardconnect.com/sms/terms.asp, 888-599-2720.”
Check with your provider to see if text messaging has been enabled on your phone. You will need to be subscribed to a text messaging plan in order to receive or reply to text messages. You should also ask your mobile phone provider if your device accepts premium text messages.
Log into the Hamline Alert/Blackboard Connect portal and make sure that your cell phone number is correct and that the ‘text’ box next to your cell phone number is also checked.
Hamline University has an automated process that will periodically submit information stored in the university's Banner Administrative Database to Hamline Alert/Blackboard Connect. When information submitted is different from what is currently stored in the Hamline Alert/Blackboard Connect portal, the user will automatically be notified via email that information has changed and that it is necessary to log into the portal to verify these changes.
No. Once your phone number has been opted in, it stays registered within the system.
While it is not advised that you opt out of these important weather and safety alerts, you can do so. When you receive the confirmation, text back with “STOP PORTAL” and your account code. The confirmation message will read the following:
“You are now unsubscribed from receiving portal msgs. For more info, text reply HELP. To subscribe, visit your institution’s portal. Msg&data rates may apply.”
Please go to the Hamline Alert/Blackboard Connect portal to opt in and update your contact information. If you haven’t previously created an account in the portal you will have to do so in order to log in. If you forgot your password, please select "Forgot your password?"
You may request to begin receiving text messages by texting “SUBSCRIBE PORTAL" to 23177 or 63079.