Student Organization Policies & Resources

Student Activities and Leadership Development


Presence is Hamline's student engagement platform. It serves as our Student Organization Directory and Student Activities Calendar, and is a central location for students to learn about ways to get involved on campus. Find step-by-step information on how to update your organization’s profile, create events, and track attendance.

Student organization funding

Did you know that Hamline Undergraduate Student Congress provides more than $75,000 in funding to student organizations each year? In order to be eligible to request a HUSC budget, student organizations must first become chartered by HUSC. Once chartered, organizations are able to take part in HUSC's annual budgeting process.

In addition to annual student organization budgets, HUSC also manages four different funds: Contingency, Conference, Challenge, and Collaboration. Information is available on the HUSC website.

Questions about the chartering process should be directed to the Student Organization Committee Chair ( Questions about budgets and funding should be directed to the Economic Affairs Committee Chair (

Student organization purchasing

Chartered student organizations with HUSC budgets can make purchases on behalf of their organization by checking out the HUSC purchasing card (p-card). Learn more about the p-card process on the HUSC website or use this form to request a p-card reservation. Questions about student organization purchasing can be directed to or the HUSC Treasurer (

Paying performers and vendors via check

If your student organization has a budget and wishes to use it to book a vendor or performer, you will likely need to create a contract*. If the vendor/performer does not provide you with a contract or invoice, you will be required to create one in order to request a check from Accounting. Consider using the templates below if you need to create a contract. If you have questions about this process, please contact Patrick Haught, director of student activities at

Students are not authorized to sign contracts on behalf of Hamline. The assistant director of student activities or your organization's advisor are the only individuals who can sign contracts.

Space reservations

All space reservations on campus are managed by Conference and Event Management, located in 121 Sorin Hall. To request event space, student organization leaders should complete the Hamline event registration form on Presence. For meeting and tabling requests, complete this form or contact Conference & Space Management by visiting Sorin 121 or emailing

Event catering

Student organizations are able to order catering for events directly through Hamline Dining Services. To arrange a catering order, contact Nick Ortega at Off-campus food is also welcome at events, as long as your event space is outside of Anderson Center or you have an approved exemption from Dining Services.

Student org printing

Chartered student organizations with HUSC budgets can charge printing to their org in a few different ways:

  • Send your print job to the campus printers, just like you would for a personal print job. After you select the print job(s) and click “Print” at the physical printer, you should be brought to a screen that asks you to select an account. Select the option that begins with “FD21”.
    • This option will only exist for student organization officers that were listed on the organization’s renewal form at the end of the previous academic year. If you have been added as an officer mid-year and need printing access added, email
  • Email your print job and all necessary specifics (quantity, size, etc.) to along with your org’s budget number. If you don’t know the budget number, email or to request it.

Please note that charging personal printing to your organization is strictly prohibited and will result in the loss of printing access.

Event promotion

When it comes to promoting events, there is a wide variety of resources available to student organizations:

  • Posters and banners
    • Supplies for hand-made posters and banners are available in the Involvement Center (Anderson 317)
    • For a fee, the PiperXpress Printing Center offers
      • Printing and copying in black and white or color
      • Wide-format banner printing
      • Laminating
      • Cutting
      • Folding
      • Booklets and brochures
    • To hang a banner in the Anderson Forum, complete the Anderson Banner Request Form and drop your banner off at the Anderson Front Desk
    • Anderson banners must be 36-inches wide by 60-inches long
      • The Involvement Center has colored rolls of butcher block paper that comply with these dimensions
      • If you are having a banner printed by PiperXpress, design it using 11-inches by 17-inches for the highest quality
    • All posters being hung on campus must be stamped by the Anderson Front Desk. Once stamped, posters can be hung on any public bulletin board on campus
    • Student organizations are responsible for removing their posters once the event date has passed
    • Requests to hang posters in campus offices should be directed to those specific offices
    • Contact to have posters hung in the residence halls
  • Chalking
  • Hamline digital signage
  • Inside Hamline
  • Social media
    • Send graphics to or @hu_sald on Instagram to have them featured on our account
    • Ask other student organizations to feature your event advertisement on their pages or stories
  • Event calendars


Student Activities manages 24 lockers located on the third floor of Anderson Center, which are available to all student organizations on a first-come, first-served basis. Contact to inquire about availability.

Van rental

Public Safety manages the use of five 12-passenger Hamline vans. Registered student organizations are able to request the use of the van for off-campus events, field trips, and service projects. The vans are rented out on a first come, first serve basis. It is important for student organization leaders to submit requests for vans as soon as possible, as vans are available to all faculty, staff, and student organizations on campus. More information is available on Hamline Public Safety's van rental page.

Student organization travel

Student organizations engaging in off-campus travel taking place overnight, or beyond 50 miles away from Hamline University, are required to register their travel with Student Activities and Leadership Development:

Please consult the student travel policy or contact Patrick Haught at to learn more about Hamline travel policies.