Transferring Credits to Hamline
Reduce your college costs by transferring credits
Hamline University students can transfer college credits earned during high school or for other accredited college-level coursework. The total transferred from programs like AP, IB, PSEO, CIS, and CLEP cannot exceed 64 credits. See how your credits will convert to our general education requirements using the tables below, and contact us if you need assistance.
- Up to 64 credits for accredited college-level coursework taken while concurrently enrolled as a high school student (including AP, IB, PSEO, CIS, and CLEP).
- Up to 20 college credits from either Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) programs to fulfill degree requirements. Check which tests are eligible for credit using the tables below.
- CIS, CLEP, and DSST programs are limited to 16 credits each. Check our Transfer Articulation Guidelines to learn more.
- Up to 64 credits of PSEO coursework.
- Students who have graduated from high school can transfer college credits earned after high school graduation or those earned while concurrently enrolled in high school.
- Students can transfer up to 64 credits from a community college.
- Up to 20 college credits from either Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) programs to fulfill degree requirements.
- CIS, CLEP, and DSST programs are limited to 16 credits each.
- Transfer students must complete at least 56 credits at Hamline to earn a bachelor’s degree.
- Self-verify which credits will transfer to a Hamline degree by using our Transfer Evaluation System
Credits accepted for high school coursework
We’ve put together conversion tables for AP and IB coursework, as well as instructions for how to obtain PSEO transfer credits, so you’ll know which scores you need to meet Hamline’s general education requirements based on the Hamline Plan. Some tests qualify for general or elective credit, while others can fulfill specific course requirements identified by letter(s). For more information about what each letter represents, view the Hamline Plan.
Advanced Placement (AP)
Students who have taken AP exams should consult the list below for required scores and credit given for each exam. A maximum of 20 semester credits may be transferred from the AP program.
|AP Exam||Score||Hamline credit||Hamline Plan|
|Art History||4||Elective credit||F, H|
|Art—2D Design||4||General credit||F|
|Art—3D Design||4||General credit||F|
|Calculus AB||4||MATH 1170||M, R|
|Calculus BC||4||MATH 1170 and MATH 1180||M, R|
|Calculus AB Subscore||4||MATH 1170||M, R|
|Chinese Language and Culture||3||General credit||G|
|Computer Science A||4||Elective credit||R|
|Computer Science Principles||4||General credit||R|
|Economics: Macro||4||ECON 1320||S|
|Economics: Micro||4||ECON 1310||S|
|English Language and Composition||4||General credit|
|English Literature and Composition||4||ENG 1900||H|
|Environmental Science||3||ESTD 1100||N2|
|French Language||3||FREN 3210||G|
|French Language||4||FREN 3220||G|
|German Language||3||GERM 3210||G|
|German Language||4||GERM 3220||G|
|Government: United States||4||PSCI 1110||S|
|Government: Comparative||4||Elective credit||G, S|
|History: European||4||Elective credit||S|
|History: United States||4||Elective credit||S|
|History: World||4||Elective credit||S|
|Human Geography||4||Elective credit|
|Italian Language and Culture||4||General credit||G|
|Music Theory||4||MUS 3410|
|Physics I||3||General credit||N2|
|Physics II||3||General credit||N2|
|Physics C||4||Elective credit||N2|
|Physics: Electricity & Magnets||4||Elective credit||N2|
|Spanish Language||3||SPAN 3210||G|
|Spanish Language||4||SPAN 3220||G|
|Spanish Literature||4||SPAN 3980||G, H|
|Statistics||4||MATH 1200||M, R|
International Baccalaureate (IB)
Students who have taken IB exams should consult the list below for required scores and credit given for each exam. Students may receive credits only for completing higher-level exams. A maximum of 20 semester credits may be transferred from the IB program.
|IB exam||Score||Hamline credit||Hamline Plan|
|Business Management||4||General credit|
|Chemistry||5||CHEM 1130, CHEM 1140||N2|
|Economics||4||ECON 1310||G, S|
|English A||4||ENG 1900||H|
|English A||5||ENG 1900, Elective credit||H|
|French B||4||FREN 1110, FREN 1120||G|
|German B||4||GERM 1110, GERM 1120||G|
|Global Politics||4||Elective credit||G, S|
|History of the Americas||4||Elective credit||S|
|History of Europe||4||Elective credit||S|
|History of Asia and Oceania||4||Elective credit||S|
|History of Africa and the Middle East||4||Elective credit||S|
|Mathematics||5||MATH 1170, MATH 1180||M, R|
|Physics||5||PHYS 1150, PHYS 1160||N2|
|Spanish||4||SPAN 1110, SPAN 1120||G|
|Visual Arts||4||General credit||F|
Postsecondary Enrollment Options Program (PSEO)
If you’ve taken classes at a Minnesota college through the PSEO program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to see how they transfer.
Students participating in the PSEO program are still considered first-year students. If they have completed an AA or AS degree through the PSEO program, each class is reviewed for transfer credit independent of any degree.
Go to the Transfer Evaluation System to look up your preexisting credits.
Start your application
No matter what kind of student you are, you’ll find everything you need to get started with your application.
Get more information
It’s easy to get the information you’re looking for. Tell us about yourself and we’ll share all about Hamline.