Graduate Legal Studies Application Requirements
At Hamline, you can earn your paralegal certificate and a Master in the Study of Law (MSL) degree with your choice of several concentrations. Your MSL coursework also gives you the additional credential of a paralegal certificate, and if you already have a paralegal certificate, that credential can count for course credits so you can shorten your master’s degree studies to just one year.
Apply to the MSL and paralegal certificate
To apply to the Master in the Study of Law or the graduate Paralegal Certificate program, please submit the following:
- Online application (no fee for US residents).
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate work. Official transcript of a bachelor's degree with a GPA of at least 3.0 from a regionally accredited college or university. If your transcripts are in a language other than English, you must submit both the original and a certified course by course English translation from a NACES organization. This should be sent directly from the institution to Graduate Admission or provided in a sealed, signed envelope. Official electronic copies should be emailed to email@example.com. You do not have to provide transcripts for courses taken at Hamline University.
- If you have a GPA of 2.5-2.9, you may still be considered for admission. Please also provide:
- A one- to two-page narrative to help the admissions committee assess your academic history and qualifications, in the context of the high standards for academic performance in our program.
- Two letters of recommendation written by people unrelated to you, who are familiar with your academic and/or professional history and who can accurately assess your potential for successful graduate study.
- Personal statement:
- Master in the Study of Law: A two-page personal statement detailing why you are pursuing the Master in the Study of Law at Hamline University; how this program will help you meet your career goals; and any applicable professional and/or educational experience.
- Paralegal Certificate: Statement of career and educational goals.
- Professional resume
- Non-native speakers of English must also submit evidence of either a bachelor’s degree from an English-language university or a TOEFL iBT of 80, IELTS score of 6.5 or Duolingo of 105.
Graduate online application: First-time users
Ready to get started with your application to Hamline? Create an account today.
Graduate Legal Studies