Graduate School Application
How to submit your application
We’re thrilled that you’re interested in pursuing a Hamline graduate program, where you’ll deepen your knowledge and sharpen skill sets for your professional career. We have programs in business, education, creative writing, and law, as well as certifications in the forensic sciences. All prospective graduate students should apply with our graduate programs online application.
At Hamline, we identify graduate students as those seeking an advanced education and specialized knowledge through a master’s or doctoral degree.
- You need to have completed a college education to be eligible for our graduate programs.
- If you’re an international student, please refer to our page for international graduate students.
- We also offer a 100% online program for transfer students who want to complete their undergraduate degree. Adult learners with some college credit may want to explore our Online Bachelor’s Degree Completion program.
Get a quick overview of the application process and find the requirements you need to fulfill using our step-by-step checklist.
Graduate online application: First-time users
Ready to get started with your application to Hamline? Create an account today.
Application checklist for graduate students
Each of our graduate programs has different requirements for admission, but all of them use the same graduate online application. Find your program below and see what additional materials you’ll have to prepare to complete the process.
Write one to two pages (typed, double-spaced) describing your career goals and how a master’s or doctoral degree at Hamline will help you reach them. Please review your application for more details and additional questions that may need to be answered for your specific program.
Your resume should detail the following:
- Personal data
- Educational background information
- A chronological list of employers, positions held, and job responsibilities
- Professional affiliations, honors bestowed, and publications (if applicable)
- List of honors, awards and/or extracurricular activities of pertinent nature (if applicable)
- Organizations in which you have been active (if applicable)
- Leadership positions you have held (if applicable)
- Honors and/or awards you have received, or any other qualifications that you would like us to know about
- Briefly describe any independent study projects, writing, or research in which you have engaged; include titles of published works (if applicable)
You will need to order your transcripts from the granting college or university. Most requests can be completed online. You need to start this process simultaneously with your application, so take this first step and get your transcripts ordered now.
- Official electronic copies of your transcript should be emailed to us at email@example.com.
- Official paper copies should be sent directly from the institution to Graduate Admission at the address below, or you can submit them to us as long as they are provided in a sealed, signed envelope.
Recommendation forms, completed by your references/recommenders, are required as part of your application.
- Your first step is to reach out to your references and let them know you're applying to Hamline and that they will get an email from Hamline with the form.
- Then, as part of the application process, you'll be asked to provide information about your references, including their name, company/organization, job title, relationship to you, and email address.
- Once you submit your application, we will email your references with a recommendation form that they submit back to us directly.
Some programs may require additional materials. For example, the creative writing master’s programs ask for a critical essay and creative writing sample.
Get more information
It's easy to get the information your looking for. Tell us about yourself and we'll share all about Hamline.