A group of Hamline students laughing outside and tossing fall leaves in the air

Undergraduate Admitted Student Checklist

Take your first steps to becoming a Piper

It’s a big decision to say “yes” to Hamline, but it’s one that you won’t regret. We want every step of your experience to run smoothly, and that includes the early logistics of applying for financial aid and housing, registering for orientation, and submitting the proper transcripts and documents.

Your personal admission counselor will contact you to answer questions and share your excitement in being admitted to Hamline. In the meantime, we’ve provided you with a checklist that will help you get that much closer to becoming an official Piper.


Our checklist helps set you up so you can easily transition into our community.

1. Submit your deposit to confirm your enrollment

The $400 deposit credits toward your first-semester tuition and is non-refundable. If you are a new first-year student, be sure to submit your deposit by May 1, the national decision deadline, to secure your spot at Hamline.

If you are a transfer student, the Office of Undergraduate Admission will provide you with a timeline. Please reach out to admission@hamline.edu or call 651-523-2207 with questions.

2. Apply for financial aid

Your financial aid package from Hamline University may consist of merit scholarships, talent scholarships, and need-based grants, loans, or work options. Your admission counselor can help guide you through the financial aid process if you have any questions.

3. Reserve your housing

New students who have paid the $400 enrollment deposit will be emailed instructions for completing the online housing application. Housing and dining contracts are available starting in April for students starting fall term and in December for students starting in the spring.

Explore housing

4. Submit your official final transcripts and test scores

Transcripts must be official and should be sent from your high school directly to Hamline. Transcripts can be sent electronically or mailed by your high school to Hamline. 

  • First-year students: Hamline University is test-optional. If you chose to have your ACT/SAT scores considered at the time of admission you will need to send in your official score report. An official copy can be sent to Hamline by the relevant testing agency. 
  • Transfer students: After your fall semester concludes, send your updated transcripts to Hamline so we may evaluate them for course equivalencies.

5. Get ready to attend orientation

Our mandatory on-campus orientations help new students jump into life at Hamline, meet other incoming students, and understand course registration. First-year students need to attend Summer Orientation and Registration (SOAR) and Fall Orientation, while fall and spring transfer students have their own Registration Days.

Your attendance is essential, as you will obtain important information at these orientation events. Additional information will be sent with course registration materials.

6. Complete payment information

Billing information, including payment plan options and specific deadlines, will be mailed to all students who have paid their deposits.

Get more info

7. Submit your immunization records

Hamline University has established immunization requirements for its students to maintain the health and safety of our community. These requirements must be met for the student to attend classes, per Hamline University Policy. All students are required to provide proof of immunization, records will be submitted through Workday Onboarding. Students need to upload an official immunization record that includes legal name, date of birth, and dates of administered immunizations. Failure to comply will result in a registration hold on their account.

Immunizations that are currently required are:

  • Tdap (Tetanus) booster in the last 10 years
  • Two MMR’s (Measles, Mumps, Rubella), first one given after age one
  • Up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters
    • Required by Hamline University. Students are considered up to date if they are not yet eligible for their next dose.

Minnesota law (M.S. 135A. 14) requires all students born after Dec. 31, 1956, who enroll in a Minnesota college to be immunized against tetanus, diphtheria, measles, mumps and rubella. Documentation is required by Aug 1.

Please contact Counseling and Health Services with any questions.

8. Health insurance at Hamline

All Hamline University undergraduate students are required to carry some form of sickness and accident insurance coverage, either your own or the Hamline-sponsored student insurance plan.

  • Domestic students: If you have your own health insurance coverage, you may waive the Hamline-sponsored student health insurance plan at the time of registration by entering your insurance company and policy number into Piperline.
  • Automatic enrollment: If you do not waive coverage, you will be automatically enrolled in (and billed for) the policy sponsored by Hamline University.
  • Future opt-in: If you have waived coverage through the Hamline-sponsored health insurance plan but wish to sign up at a later time, contact Student Accounts at 651-523-3000.