Hamline University Closed

May 28, 2020

Due to increased police presence and activity in the Midway area on Thursday, Hamline University is closed until further notice. For more information, click here

For COVID-19 response information, click here.

  • Study Abroad FAQs

    Am I eligible?

    • Hamline students can study abroad between the second semester of their sophomore year and the first semester of their senior year.
    • You need a cumulative GPA of at least 0 at the time of application and have declared your major or be in the process of declaring a major.
    • You will need to collect academic written references to recommend you.
    • If you are planning to take courses in a language other than English, your application will assess your proficiency.
    • The IOCP office has posted a list of other qualifications for eligibility.

    Where can I go?

    • Through Hamline there are opportunities to study on every continent except Antarctica! There are programs suited for every academic discipline.
    • The IOCP office has an online catalog of programs.
    • The options can be overwhelming which is why most students set up an advising appointment with the IOCP office early on in the decision making process.

    How far in advance do I need to start planning?

    • The planning for semester or year-long programs begins a year before you want to go abroad.
    • For fall semesters and year-long programs, your application for eligibility through Hamline is due in November of the preceding year.
    • For spring semesters your application through Hamline is due in February of the preceding year.
    • The IOCP office posts the exact application deadlines online.

    How much will it cost?

    • Costs vary by program, so we recommend talking to a study abroad advisor.
    • Part of the application process is a mandatory meeting with a staff member in the Financial Aid office and program costs will be discussed.
    • External costs to consider include application/acceptance fees, transportation, textbooks, passport, Visa, a travel clinic visit, insurance and personal cost of living expenses.

    What is the application process like?

    • Before you are eligible to apply to the program of your choosing, you will have to submit an application to the IOCP Office to confirm that your academic credentials fit for studying abroad. After you are deemed eligible, you can start the application process for your desired program.

    Will I be able to take courses in English?

    • Yes, many study abroad options include curriculum taught in English.

    Do I have to go abroad for a whole semester?

    • No, there are 3 week-2 month opportunities during J-term (January), May term and summer.

    How much does a passport cost?

    • As of June 2013, applying for a passport for the first time costs $145 and a passport renewal costs $1 See details.

    Does the School of Business offer financial aid to its students who study abroad?

    • Yes! Ann Holt has developed the Holt Endowed Fellowship in memory of her parents who were Hamline graduates. It is available to undergraduate and graduate business students and faculty who are enriching their academic experiences abroad. Awards are given four times a year for the fall, J-term, spring and summer academic sessions.
    • The IOCP Office has listed some external scholarship opportunities online.

    Can credits transfer back for my business major or Hamline Plan Requirements?

    • Yes. For your major you will have to work with your advisor and the department chair as well as filling out a Course Substitution and Prior Approval form if you want to substitute a class abroad with a requirement for your major.
    • For other Hamline Plan requirements, you will have to use the same form and communicate with the department chair of whichever field the course is in.

    Who can I talk to in order to learn more?

    • The International and Off-Campus Programs (IOCP) Office staff assists all Hamline students with the study abroad process. You can set up a meeting to talk to a study abroad advisor year-round.
    • To hear the perspective of a student from the School of Business who has recently studied abroad, visit our Peer Advisors page.