• J-1 Students

    It is your responsibility to maintain J-1 student status. You may review page 2 your DS-2019 for details on how to do so. If you ever have questions you should contact the Global Engagement Center

  • Topics:


    There are two types of employment J-1 students may apply for:

    •  On campus employment for J-1 students is permitted for up to 20 hours during school sessions, and up to 40 hour during school breaks. Work authorization is granted by completing the SEVIS registration appointment and by request and approval of the Responsible Officer. Students are responsible for finding on campus jobs, and applying directly to the sponsoring department. To apply and search for on campus jobs, visit the Human Resources website. Please note: not all jobs are available for international students as they may be tied to federal financial aid.
    • Academic Training (AT) is work, training, or experience related to a student’s field of study. Academic Training may involve sequential or simultaneous activities, either paid or unpaid, with one or several employer(s), provided the application and approval procedures are followed for each employer and activity, and the time limits are not exceeded. 
      Eligibility: Students who are maintaining valid J-1 status may be approved for off-campus employment through Academic Training if the following requirements are met:
      • Must be maintaining active J-1 student status
      • Must be in good academic standing
      • Must be in the US for the primary purpose of study, rather than engage in academic training
      • AT must be approved and authorized on the DS-2019 prior to the employment start date. Working off-campus without prior authorization is a violation of J-1 status.
      Length of work authorization: The total period of Academic Training may not exceed the period of the full course of study (for example, exchange students at Hamline University for 1 semester are eligible for 4 months of AT). Maximum duration of AT may not exceed 18 months, with the exception of students who have completed a doctoral degree (maximum 36 months). Employment may be during the period of study, or may begin no later than 30 days after completion of study.

    For additional information please refer to the Employment page


    J-1 students who wish to reenter the United States after traveling abroad should:

    • A current SEVIS Form DS-2019 endorsed for travel by your RO
    • You have been out of the United States for less than five months
    • A current passport valid for at least six months beyond the date of your reentry to the U.S.
    • A valid, current visa or you traveled to a contiguous country or adjacent island for less than thirty days
    • Financial information showing proof of necessary funds to cover tuition and living expenses

    * Bringing your most recent I-94, Departure Card, will facilitate your reentry, if reentering through a land POE. If you are flying, the airline will collect your I-94 prior to departure and you will complete a new one upon reentry. If you are from a visa exempt country (Canada), you do not need a passport or visa to reenter the United States from the western hemisphere.

    For more information about domestic and international travel, please see the Travel page of our website.

    Transfer Out

    Students who have been admitted to a new degree program may transfer their SEVIS record to an approved school. Students who are out of status may transfer their SEVIS record to the new school, but must file for reinstatement with the new school. Submit the following documents to the Global Engagement Center:

    • Transfer Out Request form
    • Copy of acceptance letter from SEVIS-approved school
    • New school’s transfer notification form (if applicable)
    • Transfer survey (see page 2) of the Transfer Out Form

    Download and print the Transfer Out Form » 


    A J-1 student who is currently maintaining status and making normal progress toward completing educational objectives, but who is unable to complete the course of study prior to the program end date on the form DS-2019,may be eligible for an extension of program:

    • You must apply for the extension prior to the program end date listed on the form DS-2019
    • The maximum length of the academic program for a non-degree student is 24 months
    • If you are subject to the 2-year home residency requirement (212e) and have requested a waiver, you are no longer eligible for an extension of the DS-2019 after the GEC receives notification from the
    • Department of State that a recommendation to grant the waiver has been sent to DHS/USCIS

    The following documents are required to apply for a program extension:


    Dependents (spouse or children) of J-1 international students, scholars and researchers may accompany you to the United States by applying for a dependent ( J-2) visa. We suggest that you request the addition of dependents to your immigration record when you first apply to the university. You may request additional dependents after you arrive; however, please be sure to plan time accordingly as they will require original immigration documents in order to apply for the dependent visa at a US embassy or consulate abroad. If the dependent is already in the United States with a different visa type, he or she will need to file a change of status application with USCIS. The IOCP office can assist in this process.

    Please note: Insurance: J-2 dependents are legally required to maintain insurance that meets Department of State requirements for the duration of their time in the United States. Additionally, employment for J-2 dependents as long as the employment is not for the purpose of supporting the J-1. To apply for employment as a J-2 visa holder, schedule an appointment with IOCP. Authorization must be granted before you can begin working. Study is also permitted for J-2 dependents. Please see an IOCP advisor for more information.

    Download and print the Dependent Request form »



    All J-status students/scholars (and their dependents living with them) are required to file tax forms each year in the U.S.—regardless of whether or not they earned income. Failure to do so could result in a violation of your immigration status.
    If you did earn money while working here, filing a tax form could mean a refund. J-1 scholars having been in the U.S. for more than any part of two calendar years must also file as a resident. All others file as non-residents.


    April 15 of each year is the United States tax-filing deadline. All forms must be postmarked on or before that date. 

    Federal forms 1040NR-EZ and 8843 must be mailed to: Internal Revenue Service Austin, TX 73301-012


    State form M1 and a copy of your Federal forms 1040NR-EZ and 8843 must be mailed to: Minnesota Individual Income Tax, St. Paul, MN 55145-0010