• Equal Opportunity Housing

    You are protected against discrimination when seeking housing.

    The Fair Housing Act is provided for under Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act which was created in 1968. Individuals are protected from discrimination on the basis of handicap or disability, religion, race, color, national origin, and familial status when in the process of attempting to sell, rent or finance housing and in other transactions related to housing.

    A landlord CANNOT, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, or handicap:

    • Refuse to rent or sell housing.

    • Refuse to negotiate for housing.

    • Make housing unavailable.

    • Deny a dwelling.

    • Set different terms, conditions, or privileges for sale or rental of a dwelling.

    • Provide different housing services or facilities.

    • Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale, or rental.

    • For profit, persuade owners to sell or rent (blockbusting).

    • Deny anyone access to a membership in a facility or service related to the sale or rental of housing.

    It is unlawful for anyone to:

    • Threaten, coerce, intimidate or interfere with anyone exercising a fair housing right or assisting others who exercise that right.

    • Advertise or make any statement that indicates a limitation or preference based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap. This prohibition against discriminatory advertising applies to single-family and owner-occupied housing that is otherwise exempt from the Fair Housing Act.

    Important information for those with disabilities

    Your landlord may NOT:

    • Refuse to let you make reasonable modifications to your dwelling, at your expense.

      • However, where reasonable, the landlord may request that you agree to restore property to its original condition when you move.

    • Refuse to make reasonable accommodations in rules, policies, practices, or services if necessary for the disabled person to use the housing.

    If you feel your rights have been violated under the Fair Housing Act:

    • You may access HUD’s website at www.hud.gov to download the Housing and discrimination complaint form.

    • The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is available to assist you.

    • You can complete the form and return it to the Minneapolis HUD Office or submit it online.

    • You may also choose to write HUD a letter.

    • If you feel more comfortable speaking directly with a representative from HUD, you may call them at (612) 370-3000

    When alerting HUD of a violation:

    • Provide your full name and address.

    • Provide the name and address of the person your complaint is against.

    • Provide the address of the house involved in the complaint.

    • Provide a description of the alleged violation.

    • Provide the date of the violation.

    After the Complaint has been Filed:

    HUD will notify you when it receives your complaint. Normally, HUD also will:

    • Notify the alleged violator of your complaint and permit that person to submit an answer

    • Investigate your complaint and determine whether there is reasonable cause to believe the Fair Housing Act has been violated

    • Notify you if it cannot complete an investigation within 100 days of receiving your complaint


    HUD will try to reach an agreement with the person your complaint is against (the respondent). A conciliation agreement must protect both you and the public interest. If an agreement is signed, HUD will take no further action on your complaint. However, if HUD has reasonable cause to believe that a conciliation agreement is breached, HUD will recommend that the Attorney General file suit.

    Resources for HUD

    Minneapolis Research Center
    International Center
    920 Second Ave South, Suite 1300
    Minneapolis, MN 55402-4012

    Phone: (612) 370-3000
    Field Office Director: Dexter Sidney
    The office is open from 8 am-4:30 pm Monday-Friday

    All of the information in this section was gathered from the U.S. Department of Housing and Development website.