• Residential Handbook

    All policies may be found at www.hamline.edu/policies

    To submit an incident report Click Here.


    NOTE: The University monitors daily COVID-19 positive cases and if needed, the current guest policy, as listed below, will be updated and off-campus guests will not be allowed in the halls and visiting between halls will no longer be allowed. Please do your part in keeping our campus safe.

    As we have been advised, one of the best ways to prevent the spread of infection is to practice social distancing and limit the number of points of contact you have with others while maintaining at least six feet of distance. The university is taking steps to limit the impact of the virus on our community and to slow its spread.

    In support of the university's commitment to practice social distancing recommendations, all residents must wear a mask when you step outside of your dorm room. If someone knocks on your door, you must put on a mask when speaking to this person, who should also be masked.

    Currently, on-campus residents and their off-campus guests can visit each other in various residence halls as long as a mask is worn at all times, regardless of vaccination status. When entering a residence hall, a mask must be worn. This includes entrances, foyers, hallways, stairwells, garages, elevators, community bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms and common spaces.

    As stated in the university and residence life policy, a guest is defined as any person who is not assigned by residence life to live in a particular room, suite or apartment. Should you or your guest be found in any of the above listed spaces inside of the residence halls without wearing a mask, you will be in direct violation of university policy. The guest will be asked to leave and disciplinary action will be taken with the resident.

    Hall Council

    Hall Council provides a great leadership opportunity for residents to become involved in and positively affect their living community. Each residence hall or complex has its own Hall Council. Hall Councils respond to resident issues, determine individual hall policies in appropriate areas, and develop social activities and programs such as dances, movies, guest speakers, or trips. Hall Councils are also responsible for the budget and expenditures of the council's income accounts. Talk with your Area Coordinator or Resident Advisor to get more information on how to become involved with your Hall Council.

    Sharing a Room

    The Office of Residential Life recognizes that for many students, moving on campus may be the first time a student shares living space with another person. For this reason, it is important for students to communicate with one another openly about how they will effectively share a room. Many roommate conflicts arise when students do not communicate about their needs to their roommate and instead voice concerns to others. Our initial response is not for these roommates to be separated, but rather to encourage the students to talk openly about concerns over their shared living space. It is important that all residents and parents realize that concerns about guests in the room, sharing belongings and space, socialization, and student habits are commonly expressed "roommate conflicts." In most cases, these problems can be resolved through open communication. Learning to resolve difficulties through communication is an important part of the educational process in college, and all students will be expected to participate in this critical step before further measures (such as a room change) are taken. In many cases, students will be unable to move because no spaces are available or because the roommates have not attempted to resolve the situation.

    Roommate Conflict Policy

    Residential Life follows these guidelines in dealing with all roommate conflicts brought to the attention of a staff member.
    1. Residents are encouraged to talk with one another openly about the concerns.
    2. If the problem persists, a Residential Life staff member will set up a meeting in which they monitor a discussion about the concerns expressed by each of the roommates.
    3. If the situation warrants, a Roommate Contract is set up in which expectations agreed to by all roommates are listed and each roommate signs the form.
    4. Only after all the previous steps are completed, if the situation remains unresolved, the students are asked if one would like to move to a different room.
    5. If neither student agrees to move, then the student who first violates the Roommate Contract is required to move.

  • Services


    Your residence hall room or apartment living room is wired for cable television. Apartment residents must use a patch cable designated "RG6" in order to receive the best reception possible. Technical problems should be referred to the Central Service Desk at 651-523-2220 or csd@hamline.edu. Cable television may not be available in all of the Hamline Houses.

    A meal plan is required for all residence hall residents and optional for all apartment and house residents. Changes to your meal plan selection must be made according to the calendar dates set by Dining Services. If you have any questions or concerns about your meal plan, please contact Dining Services at 651-523-2381.
    Dining Hours may be viewed at https://hamline.campusdish.com/.

    Your room or apartment is equipped with a basic complement of furniture. Room furnishings include a desk, desk chair, window coverings, extra long twin sized bed, bureau, and closet space for each student. In some configurations, some of these items may be shared between roommates. Furniture may not be moved from student rooms. Even if a student is occupying a double room alone, furnishings for a second student may not be moved from the room. You will need to provide your own pillow, blanket, linens, desk lamp, and wastebasket. Furniture placed in lounges and public areas is for the use of all residents. In order to be fair to all, you are asked not to move lounge furniture. There will be a financial penalty to any student who is found with lounge furniture.


    The custodians in your hall do a great deal to make your hall a more comfortable place in which to live. The clean appearance of hallways, rest rooms, and lounges is due to their efforts. Custodians are not expected to clean unnecessary messes made by residents. Your cooperation in caring for the facilities will create a pleasant atmosphere. Vacuum cleaners are available from your RA and from the apartment front desk. Residents of the apartments and houses are responsible for all cleaning in their living space. 

    Internet Access

    Your residence hall room or apartment bedroom is wired to support Internet access through an Ethernet connection and wireless connectivity that will allow you to send and receive e-mail messages and use a Web browser.
    For more information about system requirements, purchasing/installing network cards, which patch cable to use, network policies, or troubleshooting, please contact the Central Service Desk at 651-523-2220 or csd@hamline.edu

  • What to do...


    In case of emergency, dial 911 immediately for ambulance, police or fire department response and/or notify Hamline Public Safety at 651-523-2100.


    Students' rooms may be cold because the heat source in the room is blocked. Before reporting a heating problem, check these points:

    There should not be anything in front of the radiator or blocking the flow of air around the radiator.
    Move everything away from the radiator; heat depends on airflow from underneath and around the radiator.
    Some radiators have valves to turn the heat on and off; be sure your valve is open and working.
    If your room is too hot, adjust the heat regulation valve on your radiator.
    Do not open your window for the sake of regulating the heat in your room; by doing so, other rooms get too hot and energy is wasted.

    If you continue to have heating problems, please submit a Service Request through Facilities Services here: https://www.hamline.edu/offices/facilities/service-request.html

    Fire and Building Evacuation

    All residents and their guests are expected to respond appropriately and immediately whenever a fire alarm is sounded. Building evacuation procedural guidelines are:

    Leave lights on in the room.
    Close the window and open the curtain/shade.
    Close and lock the door.

    All individuals should:

    Wear shoes and wear or carry a coat.
    Walk to the outside of the building and gather in the designated area for each residential facility.
    Remain outside until the okay is given to return to the building by a Hamline University Staff member, Security Officer or Fire Department.

    Failure to evacuate the building when an alarm is sounded will result in disciplinary action.


    If you are locked out of your room contact Hamline Public Safety at 651-523-2100.


    Hamline University will be responsible for all maintenance and repair of the housing unit, and its furniture and equipment. The student shall not attempt to perform such maintenance or repairs, but shall notify their RA of the need for maintenance or repairs.

    Requests for maintenance can be made the online portal here: https://www.hamline.edu/offices/facilities/service-request.html. By submitting a service request, a resident gives permission to have repair personnel enter their room. Students will not be notified regarding the date and time of the repair. When entry is sought to make improvements or repairs not requested by the student, except in cases of emergency, notice will be given to the occupant twenty-four hours in advance. Maintenance personnel will enter rooms to make repairs Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Generally these requests are completed within ten working days.


    If any item disappears from your room or apartment, report it immediately to a Residential Life staff member and to the Hamline Public Safety, 651-523-2100. If you are a victim of a theft that occurs somewhere on campus other than in the residence halls, contact Hamline Public Safety. Hamline University does not carry insurance on personal property belonging to students or university employees. Students are urged, for their own protection, to carry insurance on their belongings. For information on insurance available to Hamline students, contact the Office of Residential Life. Students are advised to lock their door at all times. For your protection and the protection of all residents, do not admit anyone to a residence hall that is not your guest. Do not leave items unattended such as your back packs or book bags.

    Personal Safety

    Hamline Public Safety, located in Sorin Commons provides a twenty-four hour response to any kind of campus emergency as well as a safety escort service for any student upon request. Security call boxes are located throughout campus, and parking lots and residence hall entrances have CCTV security cameras monitoring the area.

    In addition, residence hall staff is a visible and available presence in each residence hall and perform building rounds each night. Hamline Public Safety perform periodic rounds of the entire campus including the residence halls and apartments. Each residential area is locked twenty-four hours a day.

    Despite all safety features and services, the best contributors to a safe campus are personal and community responsibility combined with student awareness of possible threats to safety.

    The Office of Residential Life advises each student to:

    • Lock the room/apartment door and all first floor windows, even if you are only leaving for a short time.
    • Only facilitate access to the building for people who are your personal guests. If someone is authorized to access a building, they will have been issued a key. Never allow a person who is not a known guest of yours into a residential building, onto a residence hall floor, or into your room.
    • Report any suspicious person or activity immediately to the Hamline Public Safety by calling 651-523-2100 or by using a call box.
    • Walk with a friend at night, or use the security escort service by calling 651-523-2100 or using a call box.
    • Report lost keys or student ID cards immediately to Residential Life staff
    • Refrain from tampering with any safety equipment, including disabling smoke detectors and propping locked doors.
    • Report any broken safety/security equipment immediately to Residential Life staff or to Hamline Public Safety. This includes but is not limited to door locks, window latches, smoke detectors, and fire extinguishers.

    By taking advantage of the services offered by Hamline and taking responsibility for the safety of yourself and your community, you contribute to the well-being of the entire campus.


    Additional Contract Expectations

    Residential Life policies are established to help create and maintain a healthy living community. These policies are in addition to the Hamline University Judicial Code provided in the Hamline provided on the Hamline Web site at www.hamline.edu/policies and are applicable to all residence hall, apartment, and house residents and their guests. Students who elect to live in Hamline University student housing will be held accountable for the following policies.


    Students must follow all check-out timelines provided by the Office of Residential Life. Closing details can be found in the housing contract.

    Care of Premises

    The student shall maintain the housing unit in a clean and orderly condition and shall not obstruct any of the walkways, hallways, or surrounding premises and shall not place any signs or advertising matter in the windows. No partitions or other alterations or additions shall be made to the housing unit unless the prior written consent of Hamline University is obtained. This shall include, but not be limited to, the addition or changing of any locks, the removal of window screens, altering or tampering with the heating or lighting fixtures, removal of spring-loaded door closures; tampering with window safety features; removal or painting of any surface, installation of any television or radio antenna; the addition of electrical, or telephone wiring; and all other such changes and additions. Nails, screws, and adhesives which may cause damage shall not be inserted into or used on the structure of the housing unit for any reason, fines will be assessed during the end of the year checkout procedure and billed to the student's account.


    Whenever a vacancy occurs in a double, triple, quad, apartment, or house, the Office of Residential Life may assign another student to that space at any time. Your name, phone number, Hamline email address, and room number will be provided to students as an available place/person to move in with or you may be assigned a new roommate. Every attempt will be made to notify the current residents within twenty-four hours notice.


    The housing and meal plan contract is for the full academic year. In the event of a major change in circumstances (i.e. withdrawal from the university, marriage, etc.), students may apply for a contract release with the Office of Residential Life. A student who is granted a contract release may move out with no financial penalty.


    A room condition form must be completed upon check-in. This form will be used to determine damages that have occurred during a resident's use of the room. Residents are encouraged to examine their room or apartment and note any damages upon check-in to avoid unnecessary charges at the time of check-out.

    Each resident of student housing must check-out. Check-out includes:

    Scheduling an appointment with your RA at least forty eight hours in advance of your check-out time.
    Cleaning your room or apartment.
    Moving all possessions out of your room or apartment.
    Reviewing the room condition form and signing it.
    Returning keys.
    Following other hall-specific checkout procedures as posted.


    The student will be personally responsible for any and all damage to the housing unit occupied by the student or any Hamline University property therein, reasonable wear and tear accepted. The student also will be personally responsible for any and all damage to other housing units resulting from the intentional or negligent act of the student, any member of his or her family, or any guest of the student. Loss of property or damage to common areas may be assessed to occupants of the floor or surrounding area. The student shall pay on request the amount of any cost, expense, or loss resulting from any such damage.

    Energy and Natural Resource Conservation

    In an effort to conserve energy, the Office of Residential Life asks you to turn off lights and electrical equipment (television, stereo, computer, etc.) whenever you leave your room. Natural resources may be conserved by keeping your showers under 10 minutes in length and by turning off the water while brushing your teeth. Conserving energy and water benefits the environment and saves you money in housing costs!

    Excessive Loads

    Student housing units have varying design and construction. Hamline reserves the right to impose reasonable requirements with respect to the use or storage of heavy items in the housing units. Waterbeds and other items imposing unreasonable stress are not permitted.


    Furniture that is supplied by Hamline University will be maintained in the proper location. The student may rearrange the furniture within the housing unit but may not disassemble it, exchange it with other students, or move it to other locations. Furnishings shall not block windows, doors or heating units. Furniture shall not be taken from lounges or other common areas and placed in a student's private area of residence or moved to any other location. There may be an administrative fee charged for locating and returning public area residence hall property found in student rooms. This fee may also be assessed for the removal of screens from windows.


    In order to comply with fire and safety regulations, charcoal and gas grills are prohibited in and outside of the residence halls, houses, and apartments.

    Keys and Student ID Cards

    When a student moves in, keys are issued that open the room. A student's ID will give them access into the building. Keys and ID's are the property of Hamline University and are loaned to students for their use during their stay on campus. It is illegal to duplicate a Hamline University key. The loss of a key jeopardizes the security of the individual resident and their roommate(s). Report lost keys to a Residential Life Staff Member and lost student ID cards to the Office of Safety and Security. Students are asked to lock their door at all times for their own safety and not to admit anyone to the building that is not their guest. 


    Kitchenettes are provided in each hall for use by residents. All equipment and appliances should be used with care and fully cleaned for the next person's use. Failure to use kitchen equipment as described may result in loss of kitchen access and/or fine.


    Residents of houses are responsible for keeping their yard and porch in a clean and respectable condition.


    Lofts are not permitted in the residence halls.


    All of our mattresses on campus are extra long twin.


    Each residence hall room is supplied with a MicroFridge (cost included in room and board). It is the responsibility of each student to keep the MicroFridge clean. Apartment and house residents may supply their own microwaves.

    Motorized Vehicles

    Motorbikes, motorcycles, or any devices using combustible fuels create fire hazards and are not allowed in the residence halls, apartments, or houses. Items of this type will be removed at the owner's expense.

    Posting of Materials

    All materials posted must follow the Residential Life Posting Policy.  All materials must be dated and and delivered to the Residential Life Office.  Residential Life staff members will post the materials on hall bulletin boards. Announcements may not be posted on doors, windows, or walls of the halls without prior approval. Permission to post large banners must be obtained from the Area Coordinator prior to posting. Materials posted improperly will be removed.

    Residence Hall door decorations are restricted to 25% of the door facing the hallway and the room number must remain visible.

    Quiet Floor

    Quiet floors provide a living option for students who prefer to live, sleep, and study in a quieter environment. In addition to regular campus-wide quiet hours, quiet floors may choose longer and/or more restrictive quiet hours

    Recreation Equipment

    All recreational equipment (bikes, weights, etc.) must be stored in residents' rooms or a bike room. Bikes or other equipment are not to be stored in stairwells or lounges. Hamline University is not responsible for items lost, damaged or stolen from storage areas. Bike room keys are available for check out in the Residential Life Office.

    Rights of Others

    Each resident shall observe and respect the rights of other students occupying student housing. This shall include avoiding excessive noise and observing reasonable hours of quiet for sleep and study.

    Room Changes

    No room changes are allowed before census day. Area Coordinators must approve all room changes. If you have a concern with your roommate, you may contact your RA or Area Coordinator.

    Smoke-Free Environments

    Smoking is not allowed in any university building.

    Snow Removal

    Facilities Services are responsible for snow removal for the general campus and the city sidewalks.


    Door-to-door soliciting and campaigning by non-Hamline groups is prohibited in residence halls or houses. Contact the Office of Residential Life or Hamline Public Safety to report solicitors.

  • Conduct Code & Disciplinary Process


    The office of Residential Life at Hamline University works towards creating an environment that fosters academics and personal growth.

    Policies and procedures may be located at www.hamline.edu/policies

    Residential Life Conduct Process

    The purpose of the Residential Life conduct process is to protect the rights of all residents and to ensure that Residential Life and University policies are followed. Upholding policies in university housing and on campus should be viewed as the responsibility of the entire community. Initial violations of Residential Life or University policies for students in residence will be dealt with directly by the Area Coordinator. All concerns and reports should be directed to your Area Coordinator.
    The disciplinary process involves a series of steps and sanctions that relate directly to the severity of the violation(s) and to the number of times violations have been reported.

    Sanction System:
    1st Violation Warning
    2nd Violation Community Service
    3rd Violation Probation
    4th Violation Eviction

    When the infraction is more serious, students may receive more sanctions than those listed or may "skip steps" in the process (i.e. go immediately to eviction) at the discretion of the judicial hearing officer. When a student is evicted from on-campus housing, the student is prohibited from entering any university residence for a period of time, typically two years.

    Appeals to decisions made by an Area Coordinator must be submitted to the Associate Dean of Students within five (5) days of the sanction. Decisions made by the Associate Dean of Students are final.

    Sanctions continue throughout a student's four years at Hamline. Students who live off-campus and are on Residential Life Probation will not be allowed to visit the residence halls, apartments or Hamline houses. When a student is placed on probation, a letter is sent to their parents or guardians. When a student is evicted, there is no refund for remaining room and board charges.

    Policy violations that may lead to "residential probation" will be adjudicated by the Area Coordinator or the Associate Dean of Students. Parents will be notified of a student's policy violations at the point that the student is placed on residential probation. Appeals of decisions reached by the Area Coordinator must be made to the Associate Dean of Students within five (5) days of the sanction. Decisions made by the Associate Dean of Students are final.

    Policy violations that may lead to "residence hall eviction" for a student are automatically referred to the Associate Dean of Students and may be heard by a conduct board. Appeals of decisions reached by the Associate Dean of Students or a conduct board must be made within five (5) days of the sanction to the Associate Dean of Students. Decisions made by the Associate Dean of Students are final.

    If an individual does not abide by and/or fulfill designated sanctions or are involved in subsequent policy violations will be subject to further conduct action.


    First time alcohol and drug policy violations with decisions of responsibility for the violation will result in a combined sanction of monetary value of $150.00. Additional violations will result in doubling the prior sanction.

    Sanction Information

    A student’s conduct  file including sanctions stay with them during their time at Hamline. Students who live off-campus and are on Residential Life Probation will not be allowed to visit the residence halls or apartments. When a student is placed on probation, a letter is sent to their parents or guardians. When a student is evicted, there is no refund for remaining room and board charges. Room selection points will be deducted for the following: Conduct sanctions, uncompleted sanctions and failure to attend a hearing.

  • Quick Phone Reference


    Office of Residential Life Contact Numbers:

    Apartment Manager 651-523-2514
    Drew Area Coordinator 651-523-2514
    Heights Area Coordinator 651-523-2514
    (Osborn, Peterson, Schilling)
    Manor and Sorin Area Coordinator 651-523-2514
    Residential Life 651-523-2061

    Resident Advisor Duty Phone Numbers:

    Heights Duty Phone 651-325-1434
    Drew Duty Phone 651-325-1472
    Manor/Sorin Duty Phone 651-325-1484
    Apartment Duty Phone 651-325-1516

    University-Wide offices:

    Hamline University Student Congress (HUSC) 651-523-2455
    Safety & Security Services 651-523-2100
    Telecommunications 651-523-2800