Social Justice and Social Change (BA)
As we replace ineffective, unjust, or harmful social arrangements, we must understand how they came to be. Good social policy and the eradication of social problems are not possible without an understanding of what caused the problem, the barriers that stand in the way of a solution, and the problems a particular solution might in turn create.
With Hamline's degree in social justice and social change, you'll become an informed, active, and dynamic problem solver. As you build your understanding of societal structures and processes, and skills to change them, you'll grow in your ability to challenge and change ineffective, unjust, or harmful social arrangements.
Social justice and social change major
Choose from a wide variety of courses suited to your career interests and develop skills that will serve you on whatever path you choose.
Social justice minor
Build an interdisciplinary toolkit with select social justice courses that will enhance your talents in another field.
Internships for social justice and social change students
We make sure you leave Hamline with work experience in social justice, social change, and sociology on your resume. And the opportunities are boundless. Whether you want to explore a career in community outreach, public health, education, or more, we have internship opportunities for you.
Examples of past student internships include:
- Alternatives for People with Autism, Inc., living skills instructor
- Arc Greater Twin Cities, planning services intern
- Chicanos Latinos Unidos En Servicio (CLUES), administrative assistant
- Child Protective Services of Ramsey County, Child Protection Social Services assistant
- City of Minneapolis, city council intern
- Elder Voice Family Advocates, intern
- Frontier Marketing, LLC, marketing intern
- Hazelden, client administrative coordinator
- Hmong American Partnership, English teacher and navigator
- Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota, immigration assistant intern
- Minnesota Brain Injury Alliance, volunteer department Intern
- Minnesota Prison Doula Project, parenting and prison intern
- Planned Parenthood of Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota, volunteer management and training intern
- TakeAction Minnesota, economy organizer
Social Justice and Social Change Department
Looking for faculty?