Find the ensemble that fits best
Hamline's music department hosts auditions at the beginning of the fall semester for all students who wish to join a music ensemble or take private lessons. Groups like University Chorale do not require an audition to join, but auditioning is important for finding an ensemble that will help each musician flourish.
In the spring, if students wish to audition for a place in one of Hamline's music ensembles, they may contact the director of the ensemble they wish to join to schedule an audition.
Fall 2022 auditions for Hamline musical ensembles
New student auditions will take place Sunday, August 28, 4–6 p.m., and Monday, August 29, 4–6 p.m. A sign-up sheet will be posted by Friday, August 26 (move-in day) in Drew Fine Arts room 114 on the bulletin board.
Professor George Chu: email@example.com, DFA 209
Audition instructions for vocalists
For studio assignment and choir membership. University Chorale is open membership, no audition required. Prepare a song you are familiar with that shows your range and vocal ability.
Strings/Orchestra: Professor Yali You, firstname.lastname@example.org, DFA 114
Woodwind, Brass, Percussion/Wind Ensemble: Professor Janet Greene, email@example.com, DFA 111
Jazz Ensemble: Greg Keel, firstname.lastname@example.org, DFA 119
Audition instructions for instrumentalists
- Prepare a piece (or two short pieces) to demonstrate both technical and musical skills (various tempos and characters)
- A scale of your choice with as many octaves as possible
- A short sight-reading passage
- Jazz students may demonstrate improvisation skills over a blues progression
- Percussion students, let us know what instrument(s) you will need for the audition
Questions? Contact Professor Janet Greene at email@example.com