Exercise Science (BA, BS)
Be on the cutting edge of improving human health and performance. With Hamline’s exercise science program, you’ll get the knowledge and practical experience to enter this growing field of human physical performance and rehabilitation science. You'll be prepared to pursue graduate studies in exercise physiology, cardiac rehabilitation, athletic training, sports science, or enter professional programs for physical therapy or occupational therapy. You’ll also be well prepared to enter the job market to work in the fitness and wellness industries. Whatever your career goals, your major can be customized to prepare you for success.
Exercise science major and pre-health track
Exercise science major (BS)
Explore the exercise science major designed for students who plan to go on to graduate studies in the sciences.
Exercise science major (BA)
Learn more about the major in exercise science for careers that do not necessarily require a graduate degree.
Student research opportunities
At Hamline, students starting as early as their first year participate in research with faculty, something normally reserved for graduate students at other institutions. You get to design and conduct your own research project.
The list of possible research projects is as varied as your interests. For example, picture yourself:
- Investigating how a beetroot supplement affects exercise efficiency and blood pressure in trained athletes
- Exploring the levels of awareness about high blood pressure among college students
- Researching the effects of a seven-week yoga program on measures of functional mobility and perceived stress and fatigue levels in older adults
- Investigating the effects of carbohydrate and protein beverages on exercise performance in elite cyclists
- Study levels of awareness about the beneficial effects of exercise on the immune system among older adults
And during your research process, you’ll collaborate with scientists at major research institutions, publish your research in scientific journals, and present your work at local, regional, and national conferences.
Getting involved with the exercise science program was the greatest thing that happened to me at Hamline. Working collaboratively with professors in captivating classes, as well as through Hamline's amazing research programs, allowed me to become an experienced scientist."
Internships for exercise science students
We make sure you leave Hamline with work experience in the field of exercise science on your resume. And the opportunities are boundless. Whether you want to explore a career in research, physical therapy, athletic training, or other fields, we have internship opportunities for you.
Examples of past exercise science student internships include:
- Special Olympics Minnesota, special projects coordinator and coaching intern
- ACR Homes, personal care assistant
- Hamline University Athletic Training, sports medicine assistant
- Minnesota Icemen Baseball Club, strength and conditioning intern
Being an athlete, I wanted to learn how the body works. Because Hamline is a small community, we're able to connect and appreciate each others' backgrounds, as athletes, scientists, and professionals."
Explore career paths
Our innovative courses and one-on-one mentoring by faculty will give you the tools to succeed in a variety of jobs, such as:
- Senior research scientist
- Athletic trainer
- Occupational therapist
- Cardiopulmonary rehab therapist
- Physical therapist
- Clinical research specialist
And you can explore careers in many different fields, such as:
- Industry research and development
- Orthotics and prosthetics
- Athletic training
- Occupational therapy
- Cardiopulmonary rehabilitation
- Physical therapy
- Wellness coaching
- Strength and conditioning
- Personal training
- Research program management
Take your studies further with graduate school
Our graduates have gone on to medical and graduate schools across the country in the pursuit of master’s and doctoral degrees. Examples of programs and schools include:
- Master of Science in Athletic Training, University of Evansville
- Master of Science in Exercise Physiology, University of Texas at Austin
- Cardiac Physiology master’s program, University of Wisconsin - River Falls
- Master of Science in Athletic Training, University of Montana
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, University of Wisconsin- Madison
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, University of Minnesota
- Doctor of Occupational Therapy, Saint Catherine University
Exercise Science Department
Looking for faculty?