Current Graduate Education Student Resources
Hamline’s School of Education and Leadership has staff advisors and faculty mentors to help you through every stage of your program. For resources specific to your program, please consult the information below.
All school of education and leadership students can use the job opportunities work tool (Google Sheet) to find position openings in their area of study.
Master of Arts in Teaching/Initial Licensure students
During your time at Hamline, you will be assigned a staff advisor and a faculty advisor. Faculty and staff advising will occur throughout your program and will include three checkpoints: Initial advising, Student Teaching Intake Sessions, and a SEPBT conference.
At your initial advising session, we will work with you to create a personalized program plan based on which licensure area you are pursuing.
Your staff advisor is available to assist you with questions about class registration, course planning, finding appropriate content courses and more. You will meet with your staff advisor at least once a semester to discuss the upcoming term and any other questions you might have.
Your faculty advisor can answer questions regarding the curriculum, how to prepare to become a teacher, and what areas of research might best suit you. You can meet with your faculty advisor as needed.
The requirements for approval of your Tier 3 Minnesota teaching license are:
- Successful completion of student teaching and seminar
- Completion of an exit interview with your Hamline student teaching supervisor
- A passing grade of B- or better in all license-required courses
- Passing scores for all state-required license tests
- Verification that Hamline is in possession of all transcripts from non-Hamline institutions which contain equivalent license-required coursework (if applicable)
- Submission of your EdTPA and acknowledgment received from Pearson of its successful upload
Licensing contact information
Licensure Certification Officer, Degree Administrator, and Accreditation Coordinator
Jessica is responsible for processing all initial, additional, and administrative licenses and forwarding application documents to the Minnesota Department of Education.
Information for all other master’s degree students
Up to five semester credits of graduate work from an outside institution or up to 10 credits of graduate coursework from Hamline taken before admission may be transferred and used to fulfill elective requirements.
Master's degree completion information
Because of the learning community organization of the doctoral program, continuous enrollment in the required courses is essential. In the event that a student must miss one or more core courses, the following applies:
- The student must apply for a leave of absence.
- A student who returns from a leave within two calendar years from the date the leave was granted will be automatically reinstated in the doctoral program. If the leave lasts longer than two calendar years, the student must apply for re-admission.
- Upon return from the leave, the student’s placement will be determined by the program director in consultation with EdD faculty. These stipulations will apply:
- A student who has completed 6 or more terms (two or more years) will complete the remaining terms through directed study(ies) with faculty member(s).
- A student who has completed fewer than six terms (less than two years) will be placed in the next available learning community and will complete the required courses with that community.
Additional licensure students
As a K-12 reading license student, you will participate in field experiences as part of your coursework, with at least one field experience at the elementary, middle, and high school levels. You may also work with students in your own educational setting.
If you are seeking an additional license other than K-12 reading, you will participate in field experiences as part of your coursework as well as complete an advanced practicum at the end of your program. More information on the advanced practicum for additional license students is available on our Office of Clinical Experience Google Site.
Administrative licensure students
The field experience includes a minimum of 320 hours of practical experience in two or more settings, depending upon licensure type. Administrative candidates are exposed to a variety of leadership opportunities in school and district settings during their field experience. Detailed information on field experiences (including prerequisites and sequence of field experiences) is available in the administrative licensure student handbook.
Each administrative licensure candidate will develop an electronic portfolio to be completed for the exit interview. Students develop an electronic portfolio using Google Sites. This portfolio will be presented to a panel of licensed administrators during their final field experience course. Detailed information on electronic portfolio requirements is available in the administrative licensure student handbook.
Students seeking an additional Minnesota administrative license can complete another license with only 11 credits of licensure courses. To begin this process, you must take and complete the one-credit Additional Leadership Assessment course for the new licensure area. This independent study is completed with the licensure advisor. The additional 10 credits include the following classes:
- The 4-credit core course related to the licensure area (K-12 Principal, Special Education Director, or Superintendency)
- Field Experience I: Plan (2 credits)
- Field Experience II: Portfolio (2 credits)
- Field Experience III: Exit (2 credits)
Graduate certificate students
A detailed planner with course descriptions and scheduling information is available for certificate programs.
Once you have completed the requirements of your certificate program, you may request your printed certificate. Orders are processed at the end of fall, spring, and summer terms. You can expect to receive your certificate four to six weeks after you submit your request.
School of Education and Leadership