Yellow Ribbon Program

Hamline University is proud to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Education Enhancement Program, a program created to cover education costs for military veterans and active service members. Hamline offers an increased tuition benefit to undergraduate and graduate military students eligible for 100% of the Post 9/11 GI Bill®, which will then be matched by the Veterans Administration in order to cover 100% of tuition and mandatory fees.

Hamline offers unlimited Yellow Ribbon Program awards for undergraduate students, graduate students in the School of Business, graduate students in the School of Education and Leadership, and graduate students in the School of Liberal Arts.

Awards to qualified Hamline applicants can be renewed each year until they graduate, pending renewal of Hamline's Yellow Ribbon agreement with Veterans Affairs.

In order to receive Yellow Ribbon funding, eligible students must:

  • Submit their Certification Request form, Certificate of Eligibility, and copy 4 of their DD214 to the School Certifying Official (see military students page for more details).
  • Submit the online Yellow Ribbon Application.
  • Maintain good academic standing at the University. Beginning 2015-2016, this will be based off of the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) guidelines. Hamline is not required to continue making Yellow Ribbon contributions if a student does not adhere to SAP guidelines.

The Yellow Ribbon Program, a provision of the Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008, benefits those individuals who qualify, based on their active duty service since September 11, 2001. The program provides tuition assistance, housing allowance, and a stipend for books and supplies. Benefits may also be transferred to family members under certain circumstances.

Additional information

  • Yellow Ribbon funding, with its corresponding match from VA, may replace any previously awarded institutional grants and/or scholarships.
  • Hamline University is not required to continue making Yellow Ribbon Program contributions if a student has a break in attendance or if Hamline University revises or does not renew the Yellow Ribbon agreement with Veterans Affairs for the following academic year.
  • Students will not receive Yellow Ribbon contributions if they are not making Satisfactory Academic Progress, as defined by Hamline University’s SAP policy.
  • In the event of a full or partial withdrawal, Hamline’s Yellow Ribbon contribution may be prorated based on federal aid policies.
  • Classes completed with an “F” grade can cause Yellow Ribbon contributions to be prorated based on the last date of attendance recorded.

Contact information