• Accessibility On Campus

    It is Hamline University policy to ensure that no student with a disability is denied access to a course in which they are enrolled because the classroom is not accessible. Disability Resources is available to assist with the relocation of classes or programs that are held in locations that are physically inaccessible.

    Faculty Notification Letters
    Interpreting and Captioning Services
    Auxiliary and Personal Aids and Equipment
    Print Materials in Alternate Format
    Testing Accommodations

    Faculty Notification Letters

    Students requesting academic accommodations must inform their professors by providing Faculty Notification Letters from Disability Resources. These letters state that the student is registered with Disability Resources and provide guidance for implementing accommodations. Early notification and active communication with instructors are the best ways to ensure that a student's accommodation needs are met. Students do not have to discuss the nature of their disability with the instructor, but should be prepared to discuss how the instructor can assist with disability-related issues throughout the course. Instructors have two weeks to make necessary arrangements for accommodations. Any student who has followed proper procedures, but is concerned that their request will not be met, should contact Disability Resources immediately.

    Interpreting and Captioning Services

    Hamline University will arrange and incur the cost of interpreter services for classes, related academic requirements, and non-academic, out-of-class activities sponsored by the University for any registered Hamline student. Students requesting interpreter or captioning services will meet with the Director of  Disability Resources to discuss their needs. Students are asked to schedule their classes in such a way as to achieve maximum benefit from minimum interpreter time. Students are urged to finalize their schedules far in advance of the first class day so interpreters can be scheduled. To request an interpreter, please email Disability Resources at disabilityresources@hamline.edu.

    Auxiliary Aids and Personal Aids and Equipment

    Disability Resources will provide auxiliary aids for students to afford access to educational programs and university services. Examples include adaptive equipment in an academic department, print materials in alternate formats, and FM listening devices.

    Students are responsible for aids or assistance of a personal nature such as wheelchairs, hearing aids, computers to be used at home, or attendants for services of a personal nature including assistance with eating, bathing or dressing.

    Print Materials in Alternate Formats

    Disability Resources provides textbook conversion to qualifying students. Textbook conversion can be a lengthy process and students are advised to submit requests immediately after registering for class. Upon receiving textbook information from students, Disability Resources will work with PiperXpress to scan in the textbook to an electronic format. Disability Resources will share the electronic copy of the textbook with the student along with instruction on a software system we use to read text aloud.

    Testing Accommodations

    Disability Resources provides a reduced-distraction room for students who qualify for extended time for exams. Students must schedule a testing time at least one week in advance. Testing should occur at the same time that the rest of the class is testing. For questions regarding testing accommodations, please email Disability Resources at disabilityresources@hamline.edu.

    Parking Policies

    For assistance with accessible parking, contact Hamline Public Safety at 651-523-2100. Disability Resources does not provide handicap parking permits. These permits are issued by the State of Minnesota. 

    Request a Permit from the State of Minnesota >

    For a map of handicap parking spaces, accessible building entrances, and paths at Hamline University, please see our campus map.