Summer Term Financial Aid

Office of Financial Aid

Fund your summer term

Summer term ends Hamline’s academic year. Most financial aid packages are for fall and spring terms only. Please review the table below based on your student type to see what financial aid you may be eligible for in the summer and any next steps you need to take to ensure your summer balance gets paid.

Since most summer financial aid requires you to be at least half-time, be sure to double-check your enrollment status using the table below.

Determine your enrollment status

Program types Enrollment status Credit requirement
Undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, online bachelor’s, teaching licensure Half-time At least 6 credits per semester
Full-time At least 12 credits per semester
Full-time (for state grants) At least 15 credits per semester for full reward
Master’s, doctorate, graduate certificates Half-time At least 4 credits per semester
Full-time At least 8 credits per semester

Your summer financial aid options

Whether you’re an undergraduate or graduate student, you may be eligible for financial aid during the summer. Learn more by choosing your student type.

Undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, and online bachelor’s degree students

Hamline grants and scholarships aren’t available in the summer, but undergraduate students can apply for federal or alternative loans according to their eligibility.

At least half-time enrollment

If your enrollment status is at least half-time (6 credits or more), we’ll automatically review and adjust the financial aid offer for summer.

  • Limited Pell and/or state grants are available since most of these grants are offered during fall and spring
  • Federal Subsidized/Unsubsidized student loans may be available for students that haven’t accepted all their loan eligibility during the fall and spring semesters
  • The majority of student offer packages for the summer will likely be a Parent PLUS loan or alternative loan options

Below half-time enrollment

If your enrollment status is below the half-time mark (less than 6 credits), student alternative loans are available. 

  • Alternative loans may require a credit-worthy cosigner. Please visit our loans page to learn more about each of these loan types. 
  • Students will need to request alternative loan eligibility from the financial aid office and apply for the alternative loan through the private lender.

**All students must be registered in order to receive any type of education loan eligibility. 
***Education loans do not cover summer housing and meal plans if students aren’t taking courses.

Graduate and graduate certificate students

Graduate students may be eligible for an increase in loan eligibility if their enrollment status is at least half-time (four credits or more).

No offer received for fall or spring

  • Check your Hamline email and mailing address. You’ll receive notice that your financial aid offer has been completed.
  • Accept the loans you’re interested in.

Already received an offer for fall or spring

Follow these steps:

  • Register for your summer course.
  • Check your Hamline email. We’ll let you know when your offer has been revised.
  • Accept the additional loans you’re interested in.