Four-Year Graduation Assurance
Our promise to first-year students
At Hamline University, we hold high academic standards, and we know that our first-year students do, too. That’s why we offer our incoming students the opportunity to enter into a partnership with us to ensure the completion of their bachelor’s degree within four years.
Together, we’ll share the responsibility of seeing you successfully graduate on time. Should we fail to meet our responsibilities—and provided you, the student, fulfilled yours—we’ll provide the additional course(s) needed to complete your degree in the following academic year at no additional tuition cost.*
A college education requires significant individual responsibility on the part of the student. We at Hamline have in place a proven system of support to facilitate your choices and your intellectual development and educational goals. The Hamline Plan, faculty advisors, and student services will help you develop and find success in a four-year time frame.
Please note: The Four-Year Assurance of Graduation is not open to transfer students.
- Each year, students must successfully complete 32 semester credits
- Students must satisfactorily earn at least a 2.0 GPA in each term (passing all major courses with grades of C- or better)
- Students must consult with faculty advisors on a regular basis to ensure the timely completion of requirements
- Students must declare a degree major by the end of the sophomore year** and work in a timely fashion to complete Bulletin-stated requirements
- Students must submit an online graduation application by the end of their junior year with the Registration and Records office
- Students must register for classes at the times scheduled by the Registration and Records office
- Hamline will provide course offerings necessary for a student’s fulfillment of the Hamline Plan
- Hamline will provide faculty advising and advising support for degree programs***
- Hamline will provide tuition-free coursework in the fifth academic year if the university fails to meet the above obligations
*Fees and room and board are not included.
**Although many Hamline students declare double majors and finish within four years, Hamline cannot assure that a student will complete more than one major in four years. This assurance does not require Hamline to provide additional coursework beyond the fourth year to complete a double major.
***The four-year assurance policy does not extend to special programs such as education certification, Early Admission Law, 3-2 program in engineering, or any other licensure or certificate program.
Start your application
No matter what kind of student you are, you’ll find everything you need to get started with your application.
Get more information
It’s easy to get the information you’re looking for. Tell us about yourself and we’ll share all about Hamline.