Applied Mathematics Major (BS)
Mathematics permeates nearly every aspect of the modern world, from the phones we carry in our pockets and the financial systems that keep Wall Street running to theoretical frameworks that broaden our understanding of the universe and the nature of reality. In your courses, you'll focus on the many areas of math's practical applications. You'll explore mathematical connections between computational data science, physics, and teaching, and choose your path from the multitude of opportunities in this field.
You'll develop a broad skill set of transferable tools and qualities, including quantitative reasoning and pattern analysis, logical thinking and reasoning skills, analytical problem solving, clear and concise oral and written communication, and computer programming. With a degree in mathematics, your future will be yours to choose, including careers in K-12 teaching, data science, financial analysis and economics, national security, and market research.
Mathematics majors and minor
Applied mathematics major
Choose from a wide variety of courses suited to your career interests and a concentration in either mathematics or applied mathematics as part of a bachelor of science degree.
Student research opportunities
At Hamline, students participate in research with faculty as early as their first year, something usually reserved for graduate students at other institutions. You'll design and conduct your own research project based on your individual interests and goals.
The list of possible research projects is as varied as our students. For example, picture yourself:
- Using neural networks to recognize handwriting samples
- Studying natural disasters through mathematical models to plan for future events
- Building a simulation program to study elevator use and wait times
- Using statistical and machine learning to predict the spread of disease
During your research process, you’ll collaborate with scientists at major research institutions, publish your research in scientific journals, and present your work at local, regional, and national conferences.
Paid internships for mathematics students
We make sure you leave Hamline with work experience in the field of math on your resume. And the opportunities are boundless. Whether you want to explore a career in finance, programming, education, risk management, or more, we have paid internship opportunities for you.
Examples of past math student internships include:
- Costco Wholesale, IT administrator
- Devine Consulting, research assistant
- Image Sensing Systems, algorithm intern
- Image Sensing Systems, quality assurance engineer Intern
- Metro Transit, rail transit analyst intern
- Minnesota Reading & Math Corps, math enrichment tutor
- Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company, financial representative
- Wells Fargo, intern
- Allianz, intern
- UnitedHealthcare, intern
Explore career paths
Our innovative courses and one-on-one mentoring by faculty will give you the tools to succeed in a variety of jobs, such as:
- Financial analyst
- Software developer
You can also put your degree to work in any number of fields, including:
- Market research
- Quality control
- Insurance underwriting
- Risk management
- Environmental analysis
- K-12 teaching
Take your studies further with graduate school
Our graduates have gone on to graduate schools across the country in the pursuit of master’s and doctoral degrees. Examples of programs and schools include:
- Masters of Financial Mathematics, University of Minnesota
- MS in Mathematics and Statistics, Minnesota State University, Mankato
Applied Mathematics Department
Looking for faculty?