Digital and Studio Art Major (BA)
You'll unleash your creativity in countless media with the digital and studio art major. This major focuses on the development of creative, technical, formal and critical skills in digital, traditional, and hybridized art forms, with three concentrations which guide students toward building high level skills in a specific medium.
Your coursework is grounded in hands-on learning experiences, creative challenges, and abundant peer and faculty feedback. As you study, you'll build the broad critical skills central to the liberal arts and become familiar with a wide range of artists and designers as you develop your ability to frame their works in historical and critical contexts.
Whether you intend to establish a career as a professional artist, with the studio arts concentration, find a career on the cutting edge of technology and art with the graphic and interactive design concentration, or become an expert in the tools for photography and audiovisual production with the media arts concentration, the digital and studio art major is your first step to making your goals a reality.
Digital and studio art major, concentrations, and minors
Digital and studio art major—fine arts
Develop your craft in sculpture, printmaking, drawing, painting, or digital fabrication.
Digital and studio art major—graphic and interactive design
Become an expert in visual communication with courses focused on graphic design, user experience, and digital interfacing.
Digital and studio art major—media arts
Master the creation of digital and online experiences with courses focused on video and web production.
Digital media arts minor
Build an interdisciplinary toolkit with select digital media arts courses that will enhance your talents in another field.
Student research and engaged-learning opportunities
At Hamline, students participate in community engagement and research with faculty as early as their first year, something usually reserved for graduate students at other institutions. You'll design and conduct your own project based on your individual interests and goals.
The list of possible projects is as varied as our students. For example, picture yourself:
- Producing a film with a small production team
- Building websites for local nonprofits and businesses
- Creating multimedia content and designs for campus publications, athletic teams, student organizations, marketing and communications offices, and theatre and music performances
- Building immersive media content, including virtual reality, augmented reality, and 360° video
- Sharing your creative work with the community in public screenings and exhibitions, including the annual Open Studios and Senior Show exhibitions
- Developing an online creative portfolio to share with potential employers, clients, and graduate programs
During your research process, you’ll collaborate with professionals in a variety of fields and academics at major research institutions; publish your research in scientific journals; and present your work at local, regional, and national conferences.
Internships for digital and studio art students
We make sure you leave Hamline with work experience in digital media or studio arts on your resume. And the opportunities are boundless. Whether you want to explore a career in art, graphic design, user experience, entertainment, or more, we have internship opportunities for you.
Examples of past digital media and studio arts student internships include:
- Activated Growth Marketing, design intern
- Caponi Art Park and Learning Center, program and event intern
- Cave Paper, intern
- Federal Reserve Bank, graphic design intern
- Midnight Paper Sales, print studio intern
- Minnesota Children's Museum, maker space education intern
- Minnesota Children's Museum, multimedia documentation intern
- Press Matter, printmaking intern
- Propellant Media, pre-production intern
- Target, brand product design and management intern
- The Current, digital team intern
- Tremendous Entertainment, production intern
- Urban Arts Academy, graphic design intern
- Walker Art Center, gallery assistant
Explore career paths
Our innovative courses and one-on-one mentoring by faculty will give you the tools to succeed in a variety of jobs, such as:
- Art director
- Gallery curator
- Graphic designer
- Interactive experience designer
- Digital content creator
- Digital marketing specialist
- Multimedia artist
- Production artist
- Web designer
You can also put your degree to work in any number of fields, including:
- Arts administration
- Arts education
- Audience engagement
- Digital fabrication
- Graphic design
- Museum curation
- Sound design
- Video production
- Web design
Take your studies further with graduate school
Our graduates have gone on to graduate schools across the country in the pursuit of master’s and doctoral degrees. Examples of programs and schools include:
- MFA in design and technology, University of Texas at Austin
- MFA in theatre design and technology, University of Illinois
- Post-graduate certificate in web and data coding, University of Minnesota
Explore the major in photos
From sculpture and screen printing to virtual reality design, Hamline arts students are experts in every medium
Digital and Studio Arts Department
Looking for faculty?