Hamline has a designated space for commuter students—Peterson Commuter Lounge—which is located in the lower level of West Hall. The commuter student staff maintains regular hours in the lower level area to serve as a resource for commuter students.
Additionally, commuter students are welcome to use any open spaces, such as Bush Library lower level and second level, Anderson Forum, Klas Center first floor, or computer labs.
Hamline parking policy
A parking permit is required in order to park in the campus lots during the following times:
- Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
All Hamline students are required to register their vehicle with Hamline Public Safety regardless of whether or not they plan to park in the campus parking lots. More information can be found on the Hamline Parking Policy.
Many Hamline students rely on public transit to travel to and from campus and as an inexpensive means to explore the Twin Cities. Hamline University is served by the following main bus lines: Number 84 on Snelling Avenue, the A-Line (rapid transit bus) on Snelling Avenue, and the Number 67 on Minnehaha Avenue. Bus passes are available for purchase at the Cashiers Window located in Student Administrative Services in East Hall and cost $165 a semester for unlimited use. Visit Metro Transit's website for more information.
Saint Paul Smart Trips
Saint Paul Smart Trips is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that improves access and mobility for those who travel in and around Saint Paul.
Commuter meal plans
Commuter students are automatically enrolled in $100 of Declining Balance (DB) which can be used at any campus dining location. Students using DB receive a discounted price on their purchases. For more details about Hamline's meal plan options, check out the Campus Dish.
Commuter Connections offers free lockers for commuter students in the lower level of West Hall. Locker contracts are available on a semester or academic year basis. Fill out the following form to request a locker.
Commuter locker request
Commuter students may complete the locker request form to receive access to a FREE locker in the lower level of West Hall. Please read the locker policy below before submitting the form.
- West Hall lockers are available for rent to commuter students – i.e. Hamline students who do not live in the Hamline residence halls or Hamline apartments.
- Locker numbers are assigned at random. Students can preference whether they would like a locker on the higher or lower row of lockers on the Locker Request Form.
- Students may relinquish lockers at any time by emailing email@example.com.
Commuter students may rent a locker in West Hall by semester or full academic year. A $25 fee will be assessed if the locker is not emptied and cleaned by the deadlines below.
Students renting a locker for fall semester will need to clean and empty their locker by the last day of fall final exams.
J-term and spring semester
Students renting a locker for spring semester will need to clean and empty their locker by the last day of spring final exams.
Students renting a locker for the full academic year will need to clean and empty their locker by the last day of spring final exams. Students do not need to clean out lockers during J-term if renting for the full academic year.
- Locker numbers and lock combinations will be emailed to students who fill out the Locker Request Form within one week of submitting the form.
- Students who believe their combination number has been compromised should request a combination change by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students should employ common sense regarding what to store in the lockers. Students should not store perishable or malodorous items, flammable, corrosive or otherwise dangerous substances, noise emitting devises, etc. Hamline University reserves the right, without notice, to open lockers and dispose of any such items or substances.
- Locker contents are not insured by the Student Activities office.
- Students who withdraw or are withdrawn from Hamline University, go on a leave of absence for Fall or Spring term(s) must remove all contents and clean their lockers within fifteen days of the effective date of withdrawal or leave.
- Contents not removed by the stated deadlines will be sent to Hamline Public Safety and processed as lost property.