Report to the Police

It is your right to report what happened to you to the police.

You can contact Public Safety at 651-523-2100 to contact the police. Public Safety can assist you through the reporting process and/or can contact an adviser to assist.

Sexual assault is a crime. Reporting the matter to the St. Paul Police Department can commence a criminal investigation. The direct emergency line for St. Paul Police is 911 or non-emergency is 651-291-1111.

Reports to police will afford individuals notice of their rights under the Minnesota Crime Victim’s Bill of Rights. Police can assist in transport to a local hospital with SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) nurses. Talking to the police does not mean that you have to follow through with a police report. Saint Paul police have received training in working with survivors of sexual assault.

Hamline strongly encourages the reporting of incidents of sexual misconduct to the Title IX Coordinator. Online reports can be made through this form. If you are not sure you want to report to the police or to Hamline, but want to talk to someone outside of the University, we recommend SOS services of Ramsey County at 651-266-1000 or through their website.

Hamline Public Safety: 651-523-2100

Hamline University’s Public Safety department provides 24-hour services to protect the safety of the campus community and is part of the integrated campus response to issues of Sexual Misconduct: sexual assault, harassment, dating violence and stalking, which includes:

  • Assisting students with immediate safety planning
  • Assisting students in completing a Hamline University incident report
  • Informing the student that they may make a police report and clarifying that the decision to report to law enforcement does not commit the prosecuting attorney to pursuing criminal charges
  • Assisting students in contacting Saint Paul police to make a police report
  • Connecting students to resources at Hamline and in the community
  • Assisting students in contacting the Title IX Coordinator or Deputy
  • Assisting students in contacting residential life staff

Contact information