• Frequently Asked Questions

    1. Who do I talk to if I have questions about my credits transferring to Hamline?

    For questions and concerns regarding transfer credits, please contact the transfer articulation coordinator at transferarticulation@hamline.edu.

    2. Where can I park?

    While there are many places to park on-campus, all students, faculty, and staff must register their vehicles to do so. You may register here. You must also purchase a parking permit to park in campus lots between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday -Thursday and Fridays 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Permit parking is not enforced in the evening, on the weekends, or in the summer. Parking Permits may be purchased through the Safety and Security Office for $100 each semester.  Evening only students (after 4:00 p.m.) and weekend students that come to campus can to study during the week: parking permits are $35 per-semester.

    For more information on university parking policies, go to our parking policies page.

    3. How do I get a Metro Transit pass?

    You can get an application for a discounted Metro Transit bus pass at the Anderson Center Welcome Desk. It is $175 per semester for an unlimited ride pass. You must show your Hamline ID to get the discounted price.

    4. How does the Meal Plan work?

    There are 3 ways to purchase food/meals on campus: declining balance (works like a debit card), weekly meal plans, and block meal plans. All meal plans can be purchased in the Dining Services office on the 2nd floor of the Anderson Student Center or by calling 651-523-2146. For more information, locations, and hours of operation please go to the Dining Services Page.

    5. Where can I get food off-campus?

    There are a variety of restaurants within walking distance of Hamline. Right along Snelling Avenue there are restaurants like Black Sea, Gingko Coffeehouse, Mirror of Korea, and Snelling Cafe. Going south on Snelling will take you to University Avenue where you can find even more choices. If you go north you'll run into Lexington Avenue, which also has a fair selection of places to eat such as Dino's Gyros, Jimmy John's, Chin's Kitchen, and Pizza Hut.

    6. What is ACTC and how does it work?

    ACTC stands for the Associated Colleges of the Twin Cities. The ACTC combines the community atmosphere of a small liberal arts college with the diversity opportunities available at a large university. Students enrolled at one institution are able to take courses at ACTC member institutions. Students are limited to one ACTC course per semester. ACTC includes:

    * Augsburg University
    * College of St. Catherine
    * Hamline University
    * Macalester College
    * University of St. Thomas

    Visit the ACTC site for more information about the ACTC program or how to register for an ACTC course.

    7. Are there student employment opportunities?

    Students seeking work study positions must complete the work study application and return it to Human Resources. The application will not secure you a position, but it will allow Human Resources to assist you in your search for a job. The starting rate for new workers is $8, but different jobs pay different rates, the final decision is up to the individual supervisor. The benefits of working on-campus are significant. On-campus employment allows you flexibility to work around your class schedule and exam times, enables you to connect with staff and other students around campus, involves less commuting between school and another work site, and spend less money spent on gas since you’re already here for classes. Search for student employment and internships online.

    8. How do I register for classes?

    All registration takes place online. You will need your Hamline ID and your Piperline PIN. Please consult the Registration Information and the Transfer Registration Guide. Once you have read through this material and completed the registration worksheet, you are ready to register online. Follow the instructions on the second (or back) page of the registration worksheet to register for your classes.

    9. How do I find out who my advisor is?

    Log on to Piperline and:
    * Select Student Services
    * Select Student Records
    * View Student Information

    (or) Contact Academic Advising at advising@hamline.edu or 651-523-2912.

    (or) Contact Cathy Carter at ccarter01@hamline.edu or 651-523-2417.

    10. Where do I get my ID?

    For a student ID, go to the Safety and Security Office, located at the east end of Drew Residence Hall. There they will take your picture and give you an ID. Replacement IDs cost $10. They are open 24/7.

    11. How do I get health insurance?

    Hamline University offers health insurance to all students in which the cost is included in your tuition costs. However, if you have proof of your own health insurance, you can opt out of the health insurance and have that amount deducted from your tuition costs.

    Students have an opportunity each semester to opt-out of Hamline health insurance. To do so, you need to sign into Piperline and:

    * select Student Records
    * select Waive Fees
    * Fill out the necessary information to waive insurance and click "Submit" at the bottom.

    12. What Services are available to Commuter Students?

    Hamline’s Commuter Center is called Commuter Connections. Commuter Connections is staffed by current Hamline students.  The student staff maintains regular "tabling hours" in the Central Forum on the first floor of the Anderson Center.   Additionally, Commuter Connections hosts an array of events throughout the year to make commuter students feel like they have a home away from home.

     A microwave is available on the second floor of the Anderson Center on the north end of the dining area.  A microwave and refrigerator, available for commuter use throughout the day, are located in "the HUB," which is the lower level of the Bush Center. 

    Commuter Connections offers free lockers for commuter students. Locker contracts are available on a semester or academic year basis. If you are interested in getting a locker, please speak with a staff member in Commuter Connections or you may inquire at the Anderson Center front desk.

    Fill out the following form to request a locker.

    13. Where do I find the campus post office?

    The campus post office is in the lower level of the Bush Center. You can send and receive mail at this location like you would a public post office. They sell stamps, offer faxing services, and can send packages via UPS, Fed Ex, DHL, or Airborne. You may also pick up packages here.

    14. How do I check my tuition balance?

    To check the balance of your Hamline financial account, log on to Piperline and:

    * Select Student Services
    * Select Student Records
    * Select Account Detail, or
    * Select Account Summary by Term

    15. How do I get involved with student organizations?

    There are several ways to find out about student organizations here at Hamline. Shortly after fall orientation, there is an Activities Fair where you can check out different clubs and organizations. Also, talk to your friends and classmates about what they are involved in. Watch your email for informative announcements from CLA-Announce or Inside Hamline.