• Employment Options for International Students

    Employment Options for International Students

    On Campus Employment

    Students with F-1 or J-1  status may work a maximum of 20 hours per week on campus during the school year, and may work full time during official break periods. Please note that summer is not an official break period for students in the MBA program. 

    It is Hamline's policy that any student who is registered less than half time is not eligible to work on campus (even if you have immigration approval for a reduced course load). Please contact the Human Resources office if you have questions about this policy.

    International students interested in working on campus should follow these procedures:

    1. Request a Certification of On-Campus Employment Eligibility form. You may request this online or in person at the GEC office.
    2. You will receive an email when the form is approved (generally within 2-3 business days). You may then go to the Payroll office (located in Manor Hall) to receive your Hamline Student Work Eligibility card. 
    3. After receiving your work card you may seek employment on campus.
    4. After acquiring employment you will need to apply for a Social Security Number if you do not already have one. The GEC office can help you with this process.
    5. If you are a J-1 student, you cannot work until your SEVIS record has been updated with the details of your on-campus employment. Make an appointment with the GEC to complete this process.

    If you are a J-1 visiting scholar, please refer to the J-1 Research/Scholar Employment section of our website, as work authorization differs by category.

    Off Campus Employment

    All off-campus employment must be authorized in advance. Working off campus without prior approval is a violation of F-1/J-1 status.

    Academic Training: J-1 students may be eligible for authorization to pursue off-campus employment which is directly related to the program of study.

    Curricular Practical Training (CPT): F-1 students who require off-campus work authorization to complete an internship, field work, etc. may be eligible for CPT. The work must be directly related to the degree program, and must be required for the program, be part of a course, or be credit bearing. You must also be student for one academic year before you are eligible to apply. Application and eligibility information is available on the CPT page of our website.

    Optional Practical Training (OPT): Upon completion of degree, F-1 students may apply for OPT to pursue one year of employment related to their program of study. Application and eligibility information is available on the OPT page of our website. Certain students with approved majors in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math) field may be eligible for an additional 24-Month STEM Extension of OPT.

    Economic Hardship Authorization: F-1 students who have encountered a severe and unexpected change in financial situation since acquiring F-1 status may in some cases be eligible to apply for work authorization through USCIS. Students must complete the Economic Hardship Application for F-1 Students. Since this process requires an application fee and significant documentation, you should consider all other options for financial aid as well. Additional information about aid for international students is available on the Financial Aid website.