• Dependents

    Dependents (spouse or children) of international students, scholars may accompany you to the United States if you hold an F-1 or J-1 visa by applying for a dependent (F-2 or J-2) visa. We suggest that you request the addition of dependents to your immigration record when you first apply to the university. You may request additional dependents after you arrive; however, please be sure to plan time accordingly as they will require original immigration documents in order to apply for the dependent visa at a US embassy or consulate abroad. If the dependent is already in the United States with a different visa type, he or she will need to file a change of status application with USCIS. The GEC can assist in this process.

    You may request a dependent I-20 or DS-2019 by completing the Dependent Request form.

    Campus involvement: Your family members and significant others are welcome to attend orientation with you as well as any other events sponsored by the GEC (International Education Week, monthly events, etc.), however we may ask them to pay a participation fee. We hope that Hamline University will feel like home to your family, and that they will find the support they need while living here.

    Insurance: J-2 dependents are legally required to maintain insurance that meets Department of State requirements for the duration of their time in the United States. Although it is not required by law, we strongly encourage F-2 dependents to also maintain health insurance for the duration of their time in the US.

    Employment and Study: F-2 dependents may not work or study while in the United States. J-2 dependents may study while in the United States and may apply for an Employment Authorization Document through USCIS, as long as the employment is not for the purpose of supporting the J-1. Required documents:

    • Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization) see here the instructions to fill the form
    • $410 check or money order payable to the Department of Homeland Security
    • 2 passport-size photos
    • Copies of current DS-2019 for both J-1 and J-2 visa holders
    • Copies of passport biographical page and US visa for both J-1 and J-2 visa holders
    • Copies of I-94 card (front and back) for both J-1 and J-2 visa holders
    • Copies of previous EAD cards (if applicable)
    • Optional: Form G-1145 (E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance)
    • Letter from the J-2 dependent stating why the employment is desired, indicating the source and amount of support available for the principal visa holder, and specifically stating that the income derived from employment will not be used to support the J-1 exchange visitor.

    Social Security Number: F-2 dependents are not eligible for a social security number. J-2 dependents are only eligible for a social security number if you have applied for and received an Employment Authorization Document (see above).

    Please contact us if you would like assistance with the J-2 employment application process or if you have any questions regarding dependents.

    Back to checklist