• Grading Glossary


    Withdrawn/Non-Attending Students

    Students who have withdrawn from your class will already have a grade of W on your grade roster. You may not enter a final grade of W in Piperline for any student.

    A student who has never attended your class, but does not appear with a W grade on your roster, did not officially drop or withdraw from your course. If that is the case, you must enter a grade based on their participation in the class.

    When submitting an F grade, you will be required to enter a last date of attendance for the student; if they never attended, please use the start date of your class (see "Failing Grades" below).

    Back to Top »


    Students auditing your class will already have a grade of AU on your grade roster.

    If you thought a student was auditing your course, but an AU grade does not appear on your roster, the student is registered for credit and should be graded according to participation

    Back to Top »

    A-F Grades vs. Pass/No Pass Grades

    P or N grades are only available if your class is designated as Pass/No Pass.

    Please refer to the Bulletin for grade definitions.

    Note: All undergraduate internships are graded HP/P/N (high pass/pass/no pass).

    Back to Top »

    Cross-listed Classes

    Some of your classes may have cross-listed sections (e.g. ESL courses, undergraduate students taking graduate courses).

    These sections will have a unique CRN which is cross-listed with the main CRN. Please make sure that you grade all the CRN's for the current term.

    Each CRN is listed in the pull-down menu under CRN Selection, or select "cross list roster" from the roster type pull-down menu.

    Back to Top »

    Failing Grades

    When you assign a failing grade, you must also enter a "Last Attend Date" for the student.

    The date must be entered in MM/DD/YYYY format, including slashes; please leave the "Attend Hours" field blank.


    • If the student attended the entire course, use the last day of the term
    • If the student never attended the course, use the first day of the course
    • If the student attended part of the course and you do not know the exact date you last had contact with the student, use your best estimate
    Federal Title IV mandates that higher education institutions track a student's last date of attendance and that Financial Aid offices recalculate federal financial aid eligibility for students who stop attending during the semester.

    Students who have stopped attending their classes will have their financial aid adjusted.

    Back to Top »

    Ungraded Students (undergraduate)

    Any grades left blank at the grading deadline will be processed as failing grades; no grades may remain blank after the deadline.

    In order to change an administratively assigned F/N, you will need to complete the Grade Change Form.

    Back to Top »

    Incomplete Grades

    Incomplete grades should be given only in unusual circumstances that are beyond the control of the student. An “I” cannot be granted if a student is failing or has not completed a substantial portion of the course.

    An Incomplete Grade Request Form is required in order to give an "I" grade. Once you and the student have worked out a plan, including deadlines, and both signed the form, turn it in to your Department Chair/ Program Director and Associate Dean; the Registration and Records office does not manage paperwork for incomplete grades. 

    After turning in the Incomplete Grade Request Form, submit "I" grades in Piperline, just as you would submit all other grades. You will be required to enter a last date of attendance, entered in MM/DD/YYYY format, including slashes. NOTE After pressing submit for an "I" grade, a new submission screen will appear showing you the deadline for completing the work before the grade automatically converts to an "F". You will need to press submit a second time.  

    A student has up to four months from the date when the grade was originally due to complete their work. Deadlines for incomplete make-up grades may be found on the grading calendar. 

    In Piperline, you can view a list of students for whom you have assigned incomplete grades. To access this list in Piperline, go to Faculty Services and select "Incomplete Grades Summary" from the menu; you will need to select the term for which the incomplete grades were given.

    When a student has completed their work and you are ready to submit a final grade, please complete the Grade Change Form.

    Back to Top »

    EX Grades

    Some courses (such as honors projects and other senior research projects) extend into the term following the term in which the student was registered for the course.

    In these cases, the Registration & Records office will enter a grade of EX before grading opens for the term.

    EX grades should already appear on your grade roster for these courses.

    Back to Top »