•  Travel Medicine

    Travel Medicine


    To get a preliminary look at the recommended vaccinations for specific travel destinations, visit the Center for Disease Control website. They have a list of recommended vaccinations for each country. During a travel medicine consultation, the certified physician or medical professional will ask more questions about itineraries and programs to tailor the list to a specific student’s needs.

    Travel Medicine Consultations

    Hamline University requires that all study abroad participants complete a travel medicine consultation with a certified physician or medical professional. The travel medicine consultation is NOT the same as a physical done by a normal physician with a note of good health for travel. To complete this requirement, students must schedule and complete a travel medicine consultation that includes information about health risks associated with their specific travel destination, provides information about recommended or required vaccinations, includes information about what to do if sick while traveling abroad, and covers their current health status as well as special health needs, recent illnesses, injuries and/or surgeries.   

    Students should be sure to make an appointment at least 2-3 months before departure, as appointment slots in many clinics are limited and fill quickly.  Please note that the Hamline International Emergency Insurance Policy may deny coverage to any student who does not complete the required appointment and submit the correct paperwork to the Hamline International & Off-Campus Programs Office.

    All students must submit a Travel Medicine Consultation Confirmation Form at least two weeks before the scheduled departure.

    Hamline has a partnership with the Health Partners Travel Clinic; Health Partners  has two sites with travel specialties in the metro area - one just off of Phalen Boulevard in Saint Paul and one in St. Louis Park. The telephone number to make an appointment at Health Partners location is 952-967-7978.  

    Though Health Partners is recommended for travel medicine consultation, students may also visit an International Travel Health Facility approved by the State of MN . The Ramsey County Department of Public Health also provides travel consultations.