• Air plane taking off

    Hamline Travel Insurance

    Students studying abroad through Hamline University will be covered by Hamline’s travel insurance policy through Educational & Institutional Insurance Administrators (EIIA). This is specifically foreign travel insurance and SHOULD NOT be used as primary insurance; students will need to maintain their domestic health insurance while abroad. 

    This insurance should be considered emergency insurance; it will not cover routine medical/dental procedures. There is a $250 deductible for any services rendered; that means that students will be responsible for the first $250 worth of charges at a doctor’s office or clinic, and the insurance company will be responsible for charges covered under the policy after that. 

    HOWEVER, unless contact is made with the insurance company, who can refer a doctor that will accept the insurance up front and start a case number with the insurance company before entering the clinic/hospital, the hospital bill may need to be paid out of pocket and then a claim for reimbursement from the insurance company must be submitted. 

    Except in the case of severe emergency, students should contact the Hamline International and Off-Campus Programs Office before seeking medical attention. In the case of severe emergency, students should seek attention immediately and contact the office when able. 

    It is also important to note that this insurance will cover the foreign hospital bills and the evacuation from the host country for students who fall ill and need to return home during the course of an international program, but that coverage will switch over to the student’s primary insurance upon arrival in the United States. The insurance also covers repatriation.