Stay at Home Order in Effect

April 07, 2020

Governor Tim Walz has asked all Minnesotans to #StayHomeMN until Friday, April 10.

For the latest information on Hamline's response, click here.

  • Pre-Arrival Information for J-1 Researchers and Scholars

    Pre-Arrival Information for J-1 Researchers and Scholars

    Welcome, new international scholars! Now that you have been invited to Hamline University, what’s next?

    Step 1. Receive your invitation letter and DS-2019 and check the document for accuracy.
    Step 2. Pay the required SEVIS fee.
    Step 3. Schedule your visa interview at the nearest US embassy or consulate.
    Step 4. Make your housing arrangements (see below for more information)
    Step 5. Book your flight (see below for more information)
    Step 6. Notify the Global Engagement Center (GEC) to let us know when you will be coming.
    Step 7. Ensure that you will have adequate health insurance upon arrival in the United States.
    Step 8. Travel to the United States
    Step 9. Schedule an appointment with the GEC within one week of arriving in the United States. Be prepared to provide local contact information and bring copies of all immigration documents on this day.


    If you are interested in on-campus housing, please work with your sponsoring academic department to see if housing is available.

    International researchers or scholars may choose to live off campus. Our office currently does not offer individualized assistance in seeking off campus housing. However, recommendations to assist in your housing search are available in the admitted student section of our website.

    Flights and Airport Pickup

    You should make plans to fly into Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport. The airport code is MSP. If living on campus, make sure to check what days you will be allowed to move into your room so that you can schedule your flight accordingly.

    The Arrival Notification and Airport Pickup form  is available now. Please note that the airport pickup service is only available for new international scholars moving to the residence halls or apartments on the Hamline campus. If a particular Hamline academic department has invited you, they may also arrange transportation for you, but you would need to set this up with your academic department contact person. If you have questions please contact us.

    If you are not eligible for free airport pickup there are a multitude of taxi services which serve the MSP airport. Hamline University is approximately 9 miles from the airport, with taxi fares averaging $27-$32. More information about Ground Transportation at the MSP airport is available on the MSP airport website.  

    What should you bring to the United States?  

    • Make sure you have your passport, DS-2019, and invitation letter to Hamline University packed in your carry-on luggage. You will need these to get through customs when you arrive in the United States. You should also bring these documents to your initial meeting with the GEC, as well as your I-94 card, which you will receive at the airport upon arrival into the country.
    • From October to March, Minnesota weather is rather cold. Plan to bring enough warm clothing such as long sleeve shirts, sweaters, warm shoes, a set of gloves, a hat and a scarf. If you forget to bring those or you don’t have those at the moment, don’t worry. There will plenty opportunities to shop.
    • Pictures of your family, friends, pets, neighborhood, etc. Sometimes being away from home for months can be difficult. Having something that reminds you of your home and the people you love can be helpful.
    • You are welcome to bring traditional clothing or other items from your country. There are campus activities during the year where you will be able to teach others about your country and culture.
    • The electricity supply in the US and the shape of electrical outlets may be different than in your home country. Electricity supply is 120 volts. If your appliances do not match the electricity supply or outlet shape, consider bringing an adapter or purchasing your electronics in the US. 

    Other information of interest