• Current International Scholars.

    Activities and Student Organizations

    The Global Engagement Center (GEC) offers a multitude of services to current international scholars. We provide activities for you to participate in both on and off campus, as well as advising on cultural, academic and immigration issues.

    The information provided in this section is intended for currently enrolled international scholars at Hamline. 

  • Maintain Your Visa Status

    As a J-1 Scholar, it is very important to maintain active immigration status while you are in the United States. We encourage you to make an appointment to meet with GEC staff to discuss any questions or concerns that you have during the duration of your stay at Hamline University.  Please also review the US Dept of State's J-1 visa website.

    General Requirements 

    • Engage only in the activities permitted by the program and category listed on your DS-2019 form.
    • Report any change of name, address, or immigration status to the GEC and update on Piperline within 10 days of the change of your address.
    • Maintain a valid passport (at least 6 months into the future) and a valid DS-2019 form at all times.
    • Obtain and maintain health insurance that meets the minimum requirements as defined by the U.S. Department of State. Willful failure to comply can result in termination from the J program. This insurance requirement also applies to J-2 dependents. Information about insurance requirements is listed on the DS-2019 and can also be found in the Exchange Visitor Program Welcome Brochure.
    • If eligible, apply for an extension at least two months prior to the expiration of your current DS-2019. Maximum time limits vary depending on the category of your J-1 visa, so meet with GEC staff in advance to discuss your plans.
    • For information about domestic and international travel, please see the Travel page of our website.
    • J-2 dependents may be eligible to work in the US, but must apply for an Employment Authorization Document in advance. You may contact the GEC for assistance with this process.
    • Notify the GEC if you anticipate changes in your program or if you adjust your status. Change of status from J-1/J-2 is possible only for exchange visitors who are not subject to the 212(e) two-year home residency requirement.
    • File US tax returns, due every April for time spent in the United States during the previous calendar year.
    • As long as you continually maintain J-1 status, exchange visitors and J-2 dependents may remain in the US until the end date listed on the DS-2019 plus an additional 30 days (this is referred to as your "grace period").


    J-1 Scholars may engage in employment activity only at the site of activity listed in the SEVIS record. All sites of activity must be approved in advance and listed in the SEVIS record. In most cases the primary site of activity is Hamline University; however, be sure to check your DS-2019 before engaging in any type of employment. J-1 Scholars may engage in employment activity at other locations only if approved in advance, and only if the activity meets one of the following criteria:

    • The primary exchange activity occurs at the site of a third party facilitating the exchange. The third party site of activity must be approved through an arrangement with the academic department hosting the exchange visitor.
    • The employment activity is an occasional lecture or short-term consultation authorized by the program sponsor and is directly related to the objectives of the sponsored program. The occasional lecture or short-term consultation must not delay the completion of the exchange visitor's program.

    To discuss the addition of a site of employment activity, please contact the GEC office.

    If you are a J-1 Scholar and will receive payment, you must apply for a social security number if you do not already have one. 

    International Students Organizations

    Undergraduate Global Students Society (GSS)

    The GSS fosters international and intercultural awareness; participates in programs such as the International Education Week, Global Retreat, GSS Tea Time, and takes trips.

    For more information please contact the  GSS Advisor and follow GSS on Facebook and GSS on Instagram 


    Hamline International Graduate Student Association (HIGSA)

    HIGSA serves to support and foster international and intercultural awareness within the Hamline graduate community. HIGSA actively runs off campus networking events, employment workshops, as well as participating in other events run by the International and Off Campus Programs. Contributors to programs include: Global Studies Department, Hedgeman Center for Student Diversity Initiatives and Programs, Model United Nations, Wesley Center for Spirituality, Service and Social Justice and the Career Development Center. 

    For more information, please contact HIGSA Advisor and follow HIGSA on Facebook and HIGSA on Instagram

    Library Privileges

    Bush Library provides access to our print and digital collections and databases to visiting scholars and who are officially sponsored by a department, program or school of the university for a period determined by the sponsoring party. Please look at the Bush Library webpagefor more information on this resource