• Administrative License Program Details

    Fulfillment of a Hamline administrative license includes the following:

    1. Completion of coursework (below)
    2. Electronic Portfolio 
    3. 320-hour field experience 

    The state of Minnesota requires administrative licensure applicants to acquire a minimum of 60 credits past a baccalaureate degree, which must include a master’s degree.

    Administrative licensure candidates at Hamline complete an Initial Leadership Assessment course that will determine development for collaborative and diversity leadership, as well as to establish a program plan for licensure completion. This also includes an initial competency assessment of the state’s administrative licensure requirements.


    Required courses (26 credits):

    • GED 8145 Introduction to Administrative Licensure (2 credits) 
    • GED 8150 Initial Leadership Assessment (2 credits) 
    • GED 8100 Leadership and Organization (4 credits) 
    • GED 8125 School Finance (2 credits) 
    • GED 8142 Education Law and Ethics (4 credits) 
    • GED 8101 Human Relations in Organizations (2 credits)

    One licensure-focused course (4 credits):

    • GED 8135 The K-12 Principal
    • GED 8120 The District Superintendent
    • GED 8115 Director of Special Education

    Field Experience: 

    • Field Experience I: Plan (2 credits)
    • Field Experience II: Portfolio (2 credits)
    • Field Experience III: Exit (2 credits)

    Elective courses:

    • Number of electives varies by student but generally ranges from 0-4 credits
    • The minimum number of elective credits required is determined by evaluating two factors:
      • Whether the candidate needs additional coursework to develop leadership competencies.
      • If the candidate still needs additional credits to satisfy the state requirement of having 60 credits beyond their bachelor's degree including a master's degree.  
    • Transferred coursework can be included.
    • Electives are selected to develop leadership competencies.
  • Learn More

    Contact a Graduate Admission counselor and request information to learn more about enrolling in the Administrative Licensure program.

    Request Info