• Verification and Additional Documentation

    You can check to see if any additional documents are needed in Piperline by following the steps below. 

    1) Once in Piperline, choose “Financial Aid Services” tab, then “Eligibility”. 

    2) Use the drop-down menu to view the correct aid year

    3) If additional documents are needed you will see the necessary requirements here. You will also receive the required documentation via the mail. 

    If you were selected for financial aid verification, please read the information below carefully. If you have not been selected for verification, we urge you not to complete the steps below because it could potentially delay your financial aid award.


    IRS Data Retrieval Tool   Tax Return Transcripts  

    What Is Verification?

    Verification is a quality-assurance measure used by the U.S. Department of Education to verify the accuracy of information submitted by students and families on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

    • All schools that disburse federal Title IV funds are required to participate in the verification process
    • Families selected for verification will be required to submit additional documentation to the Office of Financial Aid.
    • If there are differences between your FAFSA information and your financial documents, Hamline University may make electronic corrections to the information reported on your FAFSA.

    I Know I was Selected for Verification, Now What?

    Starting with the 2013-2014 school year, there is not a uniform process followed by all families that have been selected for verification. Rather, families will be asked to verify specific pieces of data, and not all families will be asked to verify the same data. 

    To know what information you must provide, please review the information Hamline University has sent you regarding verification, or check Piperline for more information (directions above). When you know what you must verify, additional information about each area can be found below. If the information you have been asked to provide is not listed below, or if you have any further questions, please contact us for additional information.


    Income information must come directly from the IRS, we cannot accept a copy of your IRS Form 1040. You have two options to provide your information. 

    1) The preferred method is to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA. Information about the Data Retrieval Tool can be found on the IRS Data Retrieval Tool page. If you used this tool and did not change any of the imported data when you first completed the FAFSA, you do not need to do it again, you just need to indicate that you used it on the verification form (below). 

    2) If you are not able to use Data Retrieval Tool, you can obtain a free copy of your Tax Return Transcripts. Information about how to obtain them can be found on the Tax Return Transcript page.

    Once you have decided which method of income verification you will utilize, you can indicate your decision on the appropriate verification form. 

    For dependent students: 2015-2016 Dependent Student Verification Worksheet

    For independent students: 2015-2016 Independent Student Verification Worksheet

    If you were not required to file taxes in 2014, either because you didn't work or didn't earn enough to be required to file taxes, you can indicate that on the appropriate verification worksheet (above).


    If child support paid verification is the ONLY piece of information you have been asked to provide, please use the 2015-2016 Child Support Paid Worksheet . If you have been asked to provide more information, please use the Verification Worksheet for your student type (above).


    If you have been asked to provide untaxed income verification, please use the 2015-2016 Untaxed Income Worksheet.  Please also submit the Verification Worksheet for your student type (above).


    If asked to provide high school graduation verification, please send one of the following documents directly to the Office of Financial Aid: High school diploma, final high school transcripts showing the date your diploma was awarded, or GED Certificate. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid with any questions.