• Military Student Support Services

    Welcome veterans and active service members! Hamline University is committed to supporting military students and providing them with an exceptional academic experience. We value your unique experiences and needs and will support you every step of the way -- from applying and securing financial aid to preparing for your career or graduate school.

    Federal VA Educational Benefits at Hamline

    If you have applied for your educational benefits through the VA and need Hamline to certify your enrollment, please contact the School Certifying Official Stella Ryan at sryan04@hamline.edu. The School Certifying Official will need:

    After this your enrollment will be submitted to the VA each term unless you request otherwise. Please review the VA Educational Benefits Information Sheet as well as the  Chapter 33 Checklist or Chapter 35, 30, 1606, 1607 Checklist for more information. 

    If you are not sure what kind of educational benefits you may qualify for, or are interested in looking into non-educational benefits, please contact Duane Bauer, the Central Metro Veteran Assistance Coordinator for the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs at duane.bauer@state.mn.us or 612-310-0492.

    Military Student Support Center 

    Hamline University's Military Student Support Center is located in the basement of West Hall. It is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

    Student representatives are available Monday/Wednesday/Friday 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. and Tuesday/Thursday 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.

    Email: mssc@hamline.edu
    Phone: 651-523-2099

    Minnesota GI Bill

    The Minnesota GI Bill provides financial assistance to Minnesota veterans and service members as well as eligible spouses and children of deceased or severely disabled eligible Minnesota veterans. Full-time undergraduate or graduate students may be eligible to receive up to $1,000 per term and part-time students can receive up to $500 per term.

    Students can learn more and complete an online application at Minnesota Office of Higher Education website. More information is also available by calling the Minnesota Office of Higher Education at 651-642-0675 or by contacting a regional representative of the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs.

    Transfer Military Credits

    Hamline strongly encourages students to turn in military transcripts to review for academic credit and can accept the following:

    • Joint Services Transcript (JST) 
    • CCAF Transcript (Community College of the Air Force Transcript) 

    Need help requesting your Joint Services Transcript? Please see our help guide here.  

    Have more questions about transferring military credits to Hamline? Contact the Transfer Articulation Coordinator at transferarticulation@hamline.edu.

    Student Support

    Get the support you need to be successful and connect with other veterans and service members through our student support services. Hamline has a long and proud history of military students and is committed to helping you secure the assistance you need.

    Career Services
    Center for Academic Services
    Disability Services
    Counseling and Health Services
    Center for Student Success and Transition
    Student Leadership and Activities
    Wesley Center
    Student Administrative Services
    Information Technology Services

    Related Links

    Veterans Administration
    Apply for GI Bill Benefits
    Ask a Question