Violence Prevention Policy
Adopted by: Board of Trustees
Owner: Human Resources
Pertains to: All students, faculty, and staff
Description: Hamline University does not tolerate acts of violence committed by or against any members of the campus community.
Hamline University does not tolerate acts of violence committed by or against any members of the campus community. Hamline University strictly prohibits employees and students from making threats or engaging in violent acts. This policy applies to all employees and students and to all physical locations where Hamline University meets or otherwise has a physical presence.
NOTE: This is a zero-tolerance policy, meaning that Hamline University disciplines every employee or student found to have violated this policy. Discipline can include termination of employment or expulsion from the university. All discipline will be implemented in accord with employee or student policies found in the applicable employee or faculty handbooks or applicable student planner and handbook, and student judicial codes.
The Safety and Security Office has authority to take action in response to threats of violence, acts of violence, and violations of Hamline University’s Weapons Policy.
Prohibited conduct includes, but is not limited to:
- intentionally injuring another person physically;
- engaging in bullying, hazing, threatening, menacing or similar behavior, including through electronic communication, that creates a reasonable fear of injury in another person;
- engaging in bullying, hazing, threatening, menacing or similar behavior, including through electronic communication, that subjects another individual to extreme emotional distress;
- possessing, brandishing, or using a weapon or other device or instrumentality that, in the manner it is used or threatened to be used, is calculated or likely to produce injury, while on Hamline University’s campus or engaged in Hamline University business;
- damaging property intentionally;
- threatening, via oral, written, or electronic communication, to injure an individual or damage property;
- committing injurious acts motivated by, or related to, domestic violence or sexual harassment; and violation of the Sexual Misconduct Policy, the Discrimination and Harassment Policy, the Firearms and Weapons Policy, or the Hate Incident and Crime Protocol.
Guidelines for Handling Violent Situations
The Security Office maintains and distributes to all members of the Hamline University community guidelines and procedures for handling campus violence and threats.
Hamline University is committed to ensuring the safety of our employees, students, and visitors. In furtherance of this commitment, Hamline University maintains a weapons-free campus and strictly enforces its policies. Please refer to the Firearms and Weapons Policy for more details. For the purposes of this policy, “campus” includes all physical locations where Hamline University meets or otherwise has a presence.
Exception: This prohibition does not apply to weapons or devices in the possession of law enforcement officers who are authorized by law to carry such items.
In cases where Hamline University has reason to suspect the possession of any prohibited weapons or devices, Hamline University reserves the right to examine employees' personal belongings, including, but not limited to, purses, briefcases, packages, desks, and lockers.
In addition to any discipline imposed under this and other university policies, employees and students are subject to arrest and prosecution by law enforcement officials for any criminal acts.