• Information for New Incoming Hamline Transfer Students

    Credits Hamline Accepts for Transfer

    Hamline accepts credits from regionally accredited colleges and universities.

    A maximum of 64 semester credits may be transferred from two-year colleges.

    Courses must be considered college-level and relevant to a liberal arts degree.

    Students must have earned at least a C- in a course for it to be considered transferable. 

    Classes are evaluated on a course-by-course basis and are evaluated for credit, for Hamline Plan, and for individual course equivalency within Hamline majors.

    The Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnSCU MnTC) and the Hamline Plan work hand-in-hand to provide students with an excellent general education foundation.  Minnesota students who complete the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum or transfer an Associate of Arts degree with a minimum course grade of C- will automatically complete all aspects of the Hamline Plan related to MnTC Goals 1 through 5.  With minimal planning, courses taken to meet MnTC Goals 6-10 will also fulfill similar requirements within the four-year Hamline Plan.

    Transfer Articulation Guides for many area colleges and universities can be found here.

    Please note that all Hamline students are required to complete a minimum of 128 residency credits to graduate, and your transfer credits count toward those 128 credits.  A minimum of 56 residency credits, including 16 within your major, must be taken at Hamline;  60 credits graded A-F must be taken to be considered for Latin honors.

    Transcripts from foreign schools must be submitted to an outside agency for course-by-course evaluation and processing before a Hamline evaluation can be completed.  The agency must be a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).  Three commonly used agencies are the World Education Service (WES) , Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE), or American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO).  These organizations usually charge students a fee for these services.


    How Our Transfer Credit Evaluation Process Works

    When you apply for admission to Hamline, you should submit official transcripts from every college or university you have attended as part of your admission materials.  This includes PSEO/CIS credits, as well as College Board transcripts for Advanced Placement and/or CLEP exams.  Hamline also accepts qualifying scores for International Baccalaureate exams.  These transcripts are issued directly to Hamline via the IB website.  Please note that though collegiate coursework may appear on your high school transcript, we must receive an official transcript from the credit-granting college or institution through which these credits were earned in order to transfer this work in to Hamline University.

    What if I'm missing some grades?  I still have classes I that haven't finished yet at my previous institution. 

    Send us your transcripts, even if you are missing grades or have work in progress.  Once you have received grades for those courses, request that a new official transcript be sent to Hamline Registration & Records.  Those courses will then be added to your record. 

    Upon receipt of your application and transcripts, Admissions will submit your transcripts to Registration & Records, where they will undergo a course-by-course review for potential transfer to Hamline and for equivalency within Hamline's major and minor programs.  The Transfer Articulation Coordinator will then add your non-Hamline courses to your Hamline academic record and will notify you via an email to your Hamline email account that your record has been updated. 

    On occasion, department chairs may wish to see more information about a given course in order to consider it for potential equivalency within a major.  In this instance, the Transfer Articulation Coordinator will email you to request a syllabus and/or other course materials to be submitted via email or fax.  Once the materials are received, faculty will further evaluate the course, and you will be notified via email of the subsequent decision.


    If You Would Like Any Courses Re-Evaluated

    Contact the Transfer Articulation Coordinator via email or fax with a request and a course syllabus, which will be utilized for re-evaluation of a course that you believe merits further consideration for Hamline Plan designation or equivalency within a major.  Once the materials are received, faculty will further evaluate the course, and you will be notified via email of the subsequent decision.

    If you wish to appeal a decision further, you may request an appointment with the department chair upon your arrival on campus.  Any subsequent updates to your record would then be submitted via completion of a Course Substitution form, signed by your advisor and department chair, and sent to Registration & Records.