Center for Teaching and Learning
1536 Hewitt Avenue
Saint Paul, MN 55104
Bush Library, Lower Level, Room 21
Monday - Friday
9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Extended Hours:Tuesday & WednesdayUntil 7 p.m.
Additional Resources: http://tinyurl.com/facebookctl
1. Consider group size [+] More
2. Consider group make up [+] More
3. Consider group members: How much structure / freedom do they need? [+] More
1. Consider the assignment: Does it lend itself as a collaborative group project? How many tasks can you identify? Do roles emerge? [+] More
2. Consider coordination cost (time it takes group members to coordinate and communicate)
3. Consider available tools (Google docs, Blackboard Groups, Blackboard wiki, etc.)
4. Structure activity to promote individual accountability [+] More
5. Structure activity to promote positive interdependence [+] More
6. Be certain to give clear instructions [+] More
1. Set-up grading scheme that reflects both: individual effort AND group output. [+] More
2. Use a grading rubric to make expectations explicit.
Anonymous peer assessment
Group Projects Aren't Working
Assessing Group Work
© 2013 Hamline University
1536 Hewitt Avenue - Saint Paul, MN 55104-1284