• London Trip - Certificate In Global Arbitration  

    Program Administration

    Hamline University School of Law Associate Professor Allen Blair serves as the on-site faculty director for the London program. There are additional on-site administrative support personnel present throughout the program.

    Student Representation

    In 2015, 16 students were enrolled in the program, including U.S. law students as well as foreign law students and lawyers. For 2016, we anticipate a similar mix of U.S. and European participants. Enrollment is capped at 25 students.

    Planning a Program Budget

    You are responsible for international airfare, meals, health insurance coverage, transportation within Europe, and personal expenses.

    As a general guide, estimated program costs are:

    Application Fee: $250 Application
    Tuition (6 credits): $4,500
    Additional Fees: $2,350
    Approx. Airfare: $1,300 from U.S. to Europe (this is an average and can be more or less depending on the carrier and timing of ticket purchase)
    Miscellaneous Costs: $1,500 (tube pass, meals, personal expenses, etc. - this varies based on spending habits)


    Should you withdraw from the program on or before April 15, 2016, tuition and program fees are refunded. If you withdraw after April 15, 2016, you are liable for the full tuition and program fees. The $250 application fee is nonrefundable.

    International Travel

    You are responsible for international and intra-European travel. Hamline Law has no responsibility for such arrangements. You must arrive in London no later than Sunday, June 19, 2016. Housing is available after 3 p.m. on Saturday, June 18, 2016 and must be vacated by 10 a.m. on Friday, July 22, 2016.

    Airfares to Europe can vary greatly. Make your travel plans early to take advantage of advance purchase options. London is served by two airports: Heathrow and Gatwick. Fares usually start to drop in early January but increase quickly as flights for summer travel fill. Please consult a good travel agent or visit a reputable travel website such as:

    If you plan to travel before or after the program, you may want to purchase a Eurail Pass while still in the U.S. It is possible to buy a Eurail Pass at a limited number of Eurail Aid offices in Europe, however, prices are about 20% higher than if you bought the same pass in the U.S. There are also a limited number of regional passes that cannot be purchased in Europe. Individual train tickets can be purchased at train stations. Information about train schedules and tickets is available on their website.

    Passports, Visas

    You are responsible to obtain a passport prior to traveling to London. Contact the nearest state department office or post office for further information. Lines at passport offices can be very long, especially just before the summer holidays. Plan ahead and obtain your passport early!

    U.S. citizens do not need a visa to travel to the U.K. for a short course of study. You may be asked to present your letter of invitation from Queen Mary University of London (sent in your information packet), along with your round trip ticket, to customs officials upon arrival in the U.K.

    For non-U.S. citizens/nationals, please consult the U.K. Border Agency as well as the U.K. Visa Services to determine if your home country is defined as a visa national country. If you are in need of prior entry clearance, please apply early. 

    Please note that student visitors are not eligible to work in the U.K. at paid or unpaid employment, including internships.

    To help in the case that you lose your passport, take a copy of your passport (and visa, if applicable), and keep it in a separate space. If your U.S. passport is lost or stolen, you must go to the U.S. Embassy to get a replacement. This is inconvenient, but necessary as you cannot leave the country without it. 

    The United States Embassy
    24 Grosvenor Square
    London, WIA IAE
    United Kingdom
    Switchboard: [44] (0) 20 7499-9000

    Course Requirements

    You must attend all class sessions and complete advance reading assignments. You complete a series of graded in-class arbitration simulations in the International Commercial Arbitration Theory and Practice course. For the International Trade and Investment Dispute Settlement as well as the foundation course, you must complete an exam. There is no mandatory grading curve. There are no prerequisites. Acceptance of any credit or grade for any course taken in this program is subject to approval by the student's home school. 

    It is unlikely that participation in a foreign program may be used to accelerate graduation. Students interested in acceleration should seek clarification at their home schools in light of ABA Standard 304, Interpretation 304-4.

    Note: Hamline students are advised that academic credit for "Introduction to U. S. Arbitration Law: Domestic and International Perspectives" is not awarded if you have already taken an introductory arbitration course for law school credit.

    Program Cancellation

    Hamline Law reserves the right to alter or cancel this program for limited enrollment or if exceptional circumstances (natural disaster, war, political unrest, or similar emergency) occurs. You are promptly notified if a State Department travel warning is issued for the United Kingdom, if there is a major alteration of the program, or if the program is canceled. 

    In the event of program cancellation, all tuition and fees are refunded. By request, the director can use his best efforts to arrange for you to attend a similar program. In the event of material program alteration, you may cancel by sending a letter stating your intentions and request for a refund of tuition and fees within seven days of notification. Refunds are issued within 20 days after program cancellation or receipt of your letter. Hamline only provides refunds if the program is cancelled or there is substantial change to the current travel warning.


    During the program, you stay in the graduate facilities in the New Student Village on the Queen Mary University of London, Mile End campus. All rooms have single en-suite facilities, with desk, closet, cable connection with free high-speed internet access, toilet and shower or bath, and small refrigerator. Rooms are arranged in flats housing 4 to 6 students, with each flat sharing a kitchen and dining facility. 

    Rooms are available after 3 p.m. on June 18, 2016 and must be vacated by 10 a.m. on Friday, July 22, 2016. You must arrive on the Queen Mary campus no later than Sunday, June 19, 2016, to participate in orientation. The New Student Village is located approximately 15 minutes away from the Centre for Commercial Law Studies (Lincoln's Inn Fields Campus) in the legal district of Central London where classes are held.

    Steps away from the student housing is a newly renovated cafeteria, a Starbucks, and modern laundry facilities. The neighborhood has small and large grocery stores, restaurants, and coffee shops.

    Students with Disabilities

    Housing and scheduled classrooms at Queen Mary University of London are accessible to individuals with disabilities. However, given the age of the campus, this is not the case for all university buildings and facilities. Moreover, the London public transportation system, including many stations on the underground and bus routes, has limited or no access for individuals with disabilities. Disabled students interested in participating in the summer program should contact Kitty Atkins, DRI associate director, 651-523-2897, to discuss accessibility and related issues.

    Health Insurance

    You are required to have a valid health and accident policy that includes international health and accident coverage. We reserve the right to require proof of insurance as a condition of enrollment. 

    Many insurance policies cover international travel, but you should check your policy for exclusions to be sure that you are fully covered. If you need additional coverage or do not currently have insurance, contact one of these companies:

    Centers for Disease Control: Health Information for Travelers to the United Kingdom 

    State Department Travel Warnings

    The most current information on travel warnings is available at the U.S. Department of State Current Travel Warning website.

    The most current Consular Information for the United Kingdom is also available on the Gov.uk website.

    Program tips for 
    traveling in London England.