The Business Law Institute at Hamline University School of Law hosted a fall symposium entitled, “Hot Topics in Business Law,” on October 1, 2012.
The symposium featured panels of experts from business and law who presented on and discussed today’s complicated business law issues surrounding tax, corporate, employment, intellectual property, and financial services.
Experts addressed the latest fallout from the Dodd-Frank Act; what to make of the EEOC’s new guidance on the use of criminal convictions and arrest records; the effects of the Leahy-Smith America Invents Act in intellectual property; and the recent enactment of the JOBS Act and the new rules on “crowd-funding,” among other current business law issues.
Minnesota Secretary of State Mark Ritchie served as the keynote speaker, addressing current ethical issues for Minnesota businesses.
The symposium took place in the Anderson Center on Hamline University’s Saint Paul campus.
The event was approved for 5 standard CLE credits and 0.5 ethics credits (event 171623).
Contact Donna Rauch at 651-523-2535 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Listed below are powerpoint presentations and handouts used by presenters at the symposium. A slideshow of BLI symposium photos is also available online.
- Hot Topics in Business Law Panelist Biographies (PDF)
- Financial Services Panel (PPT) featuring Karen Grandstrand, Fredrikson & Byron, P.A.; Joseph Green, TCF Financial Corporation; Samuel J.H. Sigelman, Lindquist & Vennum
- Banking and Bankruptcy Handout (PDF) presented by Samuel J.H. Sigelman, Lindquist & Vennum
- Differential Treatment of Entities Based on Assets Under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (PDF) presented by Joe Green and Doug Hiatt, TCF Financial Corporation
- Hot Topics in Labor & Employment Law (PPT) presented by Thomas R. Trachsel, Felhaber Larson Fenlon & Vogt
- The “New” ADA: Where are we now? (PPT) presented by Anne M. Radolinski, Fredrikson & Byron P.A.
- Hot Topics in IP Law: The Leahy-Smith America Invents Act of 2011 (PPT) presented by Professor Sharon K. Sandeen; Alan Kowalchyk, Merchant & Gould; Matthew Doscotch, Zimmer, Inc.
- Corporate Law Panel (PPT) featuring Jen Randolph Reise, Briggs and Morgan; Jonathan Nygren, Faegre Baker Daniels; C. Smith Stopp, Stopp & Stopp
- The “JOBS” Act and Developments in Capital Formation (PPT) presented by Jen Randolph Reise, Briggs and Morgan
- JOBS Act to Simplify Capital Formation (PDF) presented by Jen Randolph Reise, Briggs and Morgan
- Fiduciary Duties and Financial Advisors (PPT) presented by Jonathan Nygren, Faegre Baker Daniels
- Hot Topics in Federal Tax Audits and Worker Status Audits (PDF) presented by Michael E. O’Brien, Regan Tax Law
- Hot Topics in Business Law