1536 Hewitt Avenue Saint Paul, MN 55104-1284 U.S.A. 651-523-2800
Before you begin, please review the entire form to make sure you have all the necessary information. When you are finished, submit the form electronically by clicking the Submit button at the bottom of the form. Forms can only be accepted electronically. If a question does not pertain to your course, write N/A in the text box.
Please note: once the term has started, Hamline Plan can no longer be added to a course.
Every student will complete one integrative learning experience (usually during the junior or senior year) in which the student works with a faculty advisor to identify a question, design appropriate methods of study, and choose a means of presenting the results. This experience will not necessarily involve a separate course credit except for traditional independent studies and student teaching. Faculty legislation, November, 1985Traditional courses that typically carry the Individual Ability in Learning designation (Q) are:
Respond to the following questions to describe how your course will meet the goals of the faculty legislation as stated above:1) What portion of the student's work in the course will be devoted to the substantive independent learning project?
2) How will the course prepare and encourage students to identify for themselves a question for independent investigation that will incorporate previous coursework related to that subject matter?
3) What methodological approaches will the course highlight, and what degree of independence will the student exercise in selecting the methods of research for her/his project?
4) What guidance will the course provide in the student's selection of bibliographical and other sources?
5) Give examples of the forms in which students might present their research.
How will students be encouraged to exercise independence in determining the form in which to present their research?
6) Copy and paste a syllabus or course outline and a proposal for course assessment.
Department chair (First and Last Name):
Department chair approval:
Date of approval:
Committee membersReports to FacultyMinutes Archived Minutes Hamline Plan Revision
The new Hamline Plan Application Form is now live.
Available October 2013:
*Proposal revision underway. For 2014-15 courses, please wait to submit until fall 2013* Cultural Breadth (G, I, L)Disciplinary Breadth (F, H, N, S)Individual Ability in Learning (Q)Speaking Intensive (O)
Office of the Provost
© 2014 Hamline University
1536 Hewitt Avenue - Saint Paul, MN 55104-1284