• Students Listening

    English Major 3-3 Program

    Visit the English major page >

    Candidates for early admission to Hamline University School of Law (HUSL) must:

    1. Submit a Declaration of English Major and Law School Early Admission (LSEA) minor form as soon as possible. You will need a English and Legal Studies Department advisor.

    2. Complete the four LSEA minor classes below by the end of your junior year.

    3. Complete fifth LSEA minor class LAW 9121 Contracts by the end of your first year at HUSL.

    4. Complete all Hamline Plan requirements and 100 semester credits by the end of your junior year. 

    5. Complete 32 breadth of study credits (credits outside the major department) by the end of your junior year.

     6. File your intent to graduate form by December of your junior year.

    7. Apply to HUSL during junior year. Application should be completed no later than March

    8. Sit for the Law School Admission Test (LSAT) and complete the application process to Hamline Law School through the Law School Admission Council  (LSAC) during junior year. Materials and scholarship applications are also available on the LSAC website and at the law school.

    Major Requirements

    First Year Spring
    First 1000-level survey (H)
    Cat A 1210, 1220
           B 1230, 1240
           C 1250, 1270

    Sophomore Fall
    Second 1000-level survey (different category than fall)
    3010 (H,T)

    Sophomore J-Term
    3000-level writing course (T)

    Sophomore Spring
    3020 (H,T)
    3000-level literature course
    (3450 to 3590, 3100, 3190, or 5600)

    Junior Fall
    3000-level lit or writing (above 3020)

    Junior J-Term
    3000-level lit or writing (above 3020)

    Junior Spring
    3000-level lit or writing (above 3020)
    5960 (Q,O,T)

    NOTE: of the five 3000-level courses above 3020, no more than two can be writing.

    Continuation After The Junior Year

    To continue in the 3-3 Program after the junior year, the student must be accepted for regular admission by HUSL. Upon successful completion of 28 credits of law school course work,(C- or better grades) the undergraduate degree will be conferred. If a student is not accepted into HUSL after their junior year, the student returns to the CLA to finish their degree and a minor other than LSEA or convert their LSEA minor into a LGST major.

    Transfer Students

    Transfer students are eligible and must in addition to the requirements set forth above, take a minimum of sixteen (16) credits in the major while enrolled in the College of Liberal Arts.