Adopted by: Board of Trustees
Owner: Diversity Committee
Pertains to: All students, faculty, and staff
Description: Hamline University commits itself to inviting, supporting and affirming cultural diversity on the campus. All university programs and practices, academic and co-curricular, shall be designed to create a learning environment in which cultural differences are valued.
Adopted by the Board of Trustees
May 3, 1994
Hamline University commits itself to inviting, supporting and affirming cultural diversity on the campus. All university programs and practices, academic and co-curricular, shall be designed to create a learning environment in which cultural differences are valued.
To ensure the achievement of these policy goals, Hamline University is committed to:
- Encouraging all organizations to have as part of their constitution and by-laws, a cultural diversity policy that states explicitly the organization’s commitment to fostering cultural diversity on campus;
- Encouraging inclusiveness in all organizations while respecting the different needs of organizations composed of groups that have been or currently are denied equal opportunity;
- Developing and maintaining academic/co-curricular programs and university climate that promises a responsible, civil and open exchange of ideas;
- Educating all members of the campus community about diversity and forms of discrimination, such as racism, sexism, and homophobia;
- Maintaining a respectful environment free from all forms of harassment, hostility and violence;
- Recruiting and working to retain students, staff and faculty who are members of historically or otherwise under-represented groups; and
- Providing the necessary financial and academic support to recruit and retain diverse students, faculty and staff.
The University’s Cultural Diversity Committee shall act as a resource for the implementation of this policy and shall report annually to the President and the University Council. The President shall ensure that procedures are developed to implement this policy. The procedures shall include defined terms and ideas to assist organizations in implementing this policy.
"We assert straightforwardly and without qualification that without diversity, academic institutions cannot lay claim to quality…the education provided by a university that does not actively foster diversity will be shamefully inadequate."
Hamline University: President’s Blue Ribbon Commission on Diversity & Quality, 1990