• Grants and Scholarships for Undergraduate, Post baccalaureate, and Teaching Licensure Students 

    Merit-Based Scholarships for First Year Students
    Merit-Based Scholarships for Undergraduate Transfer Students 
    Hamline University Grants and Scholarships
    Outside Scholarships, Grants, and Resources
    State Grants
    Federal Grants
    Award Letter Changes/Revisions

    Merit-Based Scholarships for First Year Undergraduate Students

    All scholarships listed are awarded based on merit (not need). Scholarships are separated into two categories: Academic Scholarships and Additional Scholarships. Students may receive one academic and one or more additional scholarships. Click here to view Merit-Based Scholarships for First-Year Students.

    Back to top> 

    Merit-Based Scholarships for Undergraduate Transfer Students

    Merit-based (not need) aid is available to undergraduate transfer students. Click here to view Merit-Based Scholarships for Undergraduate Transfer Students.

    Back to top>

    Hamline University Grants and Scholarships for Undergraduate Students

    Hamline University is the largest single source of scholarship and grant assistance for undergraduate students. Generally, Hamline University-sponsored scholarships and grants come from Hamline alumni, friends, and the university financial aid fund. Scholarships and grants are generally awarded on the basis of financial need. Students must maintain full-time status to be eligible for a Hamline sponsored grant or scholarship assistance. Students are normally allowed grant and scholarship assistance up to eight cumulative terms, including all previous post-secondary work. 

    Back to top> 

    Outside Scholarships, Grants, and Resources

    (including Vocational Rehab, Veterans benefits, AmeriCorps, and employer reimbursement)

    Outside Scholarships 
    Minority, Ethnic & International Student Scholarships 
    United Methodist Scholarships and Loans

    All outside scholarships, grants, and resources you receive must be reported to the Financial Aid Office. Once Hamline University receives the outside scholarship or grant money, it is applied to your student account. If the term has not yet begun, the funds are held until they can be applied. Outside grants may reduce the self-help portion of your financial aid award. 

    Back to top> 

    State Gift Aid 

    Minnesota State Grants for Undergraduate Students

    Minnesota State Grants are given by the State of Minnesota. Students are eligible for State Grant for the equivalent of eight full time semesters in total. This total includes all previous postsecondary credits attempted or earned at other institutions. The amount listed on the award letter is an estimate until the state officially confirms award values for students. The estimated grant is based on full-time enrollment of 15 credits per semester and will be pro-rated if registered for less. However, winter term credits may be combined with either fall or spring semester to achieve 15 credits. The grant is credited to your account after the funds are forwarded to Hamline University by the state.

    Failing to have your application received by the required deadline will result in a loss of funds for the term(s) in question. The deadlines for Hamline students are as follows:

    Minnesota State Grant Program Deadline for the 2013-2014 academic year:

    • Fall 2013: October 3, 2013
    • Spring 2014: March 6,2014
    • Summer 2014: July 1, 2014

    Minnesota State Grant Program Deadline for the 2012-2013 academic year:

    • Fall 2012: October 4, 2012
    • Spring 2013: February 28, 2013
    • Summer 2013: June 30, 2013

    To complete the FAFSA online, please visit www.fafsa.ed.gov. Again, your eligibility to participate in the Minnesota State Grant Program is dependent on timely submission of your FAFSA. If you have any questions regarding this new requirement, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

    GI Bill

    The Minnesota GI Bill provides financial assistance to Minnesota veterans and service members who served on or after September 11, 2001. Full-time undergraduate or graduate students may be eligible to receive up to $1,000 per term and part-time students can receive up to $500 per term. A one-page online application for the Minnesota GI Bill is available at www.ohe.state.mn.us/military. More information is also available by calling the Minnesota Office of Higher Education at 651-642-0675 or by contacting a regional representative of the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs. 

    Back to top> 

    Federal Gift Aid

    Federal Pell/SEOG for Undergraduate Students

    The Federal Pell and SEOG grants are federally funded grants that are credited to your student account after the Financial Aid Office verifies your information with the federal processor.

    Beginning in Fall 2012, students are now limited to 12 semesters (or 600%) of Pell Grant eligibility. This change affects all students regardless of when or where they received their first Pell Grant. Students that have received the Pell Grant in the academic year 2011-2012 and have already used 600% of their Pell Grant eligibility will no longer be eligible to receive a Pell Grant starting Fall 2012.

    If you have attended college for 4 years or longer, receiving the Pell Grant each year, you are likely to exhaust or have already exhausted your lifetime limit of 12 semesters of Pell Grant eligibility during the 2012-2013 school year. If you have attended college and received the Pell Grant for 3 years or less you will likely not surpass the lifetime limit during the 2012-2013 school year. Whether you have used all of your Pell Grant eligibility or only half, please be conscious about the lifetime limit of the Pell Grant when changing majors and/or scheduling classes.

    You may view your percentage of Pell Grant used by logging into www.nslds.ed.gov. Your ‘Lifetime Eligibility Used’ percentage will be displayed in the ‘Grants’ section.

    Visit the Federal Student Aid website for more information

    Federal TEACH Grant

    The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides up to $4,000 per year in grants to graduate and undergraduate students who intend to teach full-time in high-need subject areas for at least four years at schools that serve students from low-income families. Students enrolled in TEACH Grant-approved programs may receive up to $16,000 for undergraduate study and up to $8,000 for graduate study.

    Please note: If you fail to meet the 4-year teaching obligation within 8 years of completing or ceasing your degree program, your grant will convert to an unsubsidized Stafford loan. This loan will have to be repaid with interest accrued from the date the grant funds were first disbursed.

    Visit http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/TEACH.jsp for more information about the TEACH Grant Program.

    View and print Hamline University’s TEACH Grant application at www.hamline.edu/faforms.

    Back to top>  

    Award Letter Changes/Revisions

    In the event that we receive new or additional information including, but not limited to housing, outside funding or enrollment, your financial aid is subject to change. Please be aware that all financial aid award letter changes/revisions will be sent to you electronically. An e-mail will be sent to your Hamline email account that will instruct you to log into Piperline to review your revised award. If at any time you would like a paper copy of your financial aid award, you may request one at Student Administrative Services. 

    Back to top>  

  • Could not load widget!
  • Could not load widget!