Public Sector Leadership Institute
Public sector employees can develop skills that are in high demand by attending the Public Sector Leadership Institute at Hamline University. Participating students will learn from Hamline faculty and lecturers with many years of public sector leadership experience through lecture, discussion, and group activities that give students a chance to practice their skills.
- Public Sector Conflict Resolution: A look at resolution models, how elected officials make decisions, and handling public meetings and processes.
- Strategic Planning: Understanding the process of defining organizational strategy, or direction, and making decisions on allocating resources to pursue the strategy.
- Public Sector Decision Making and Leadership Principles: Principles of leadership in the public sector, including check and balance theory, and obligations of elected officials and appointed staff.
- Coaching, Counseling, Performance Appraisal, and Effective Discipline: Elements of effective use and when to use. Legal requirements under Minnesota employment law, collective bargaining relationships, and due process.
- Public Sector Communications Strategy and Tactics: Managing constructive meetings, connecting internal capabilities with goals for engaging stakeholders, and public speaking.
- Managing Change: Effective leadership of organizational change initiatives.
Program at a Glance
Students who complete the 45 hours of coursework will earn the Leadership Institute certificate from the Hamline School of Business Public Administration program and 4 Continuing Studies credits. The program is deliberately scheduled to span two calendar years so the cost of certification can be spread over two budget cycles.
Cost for the program is $1,325.
Participants commit to seven 6.5-hour sessions over an eight-month period, starting in September 2014. The class meets on Thursdays from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. A continental breakfast and lunch are included.
Session 1: September 4, 2014
Session 2: October 2, 2014
Session 3: November 6, 2014
Session 4: January 8, 2015
Session 5: February 5, 2015
Session 6: March 5, 2015
Session 7: April 2, 2015
All participants are eligible to earn the certificate and Continuing Studies credits regardless of prior academic experience. Eligible students who wish to earn master's level elective credits toward the Master of Arts in Public Administration at Hamline University must meet the requirements for admission to the Hamline School of Business and complete additional academic work in the class.