Antivirus & Firewalls
Sophos 6.5 for Windows
Install Sophos 6.5 Antivirus Software for Windows XP and
Hamline University has purchased licenses with Sophos to
distribute one copy of their Antivirus software for every staff, student (some
exceptions apply), and faculty for private use. In addition, Sophos is licensed
for all computers that are owned by the University.
If you are not a staff, student, or faculty member, make
sure you have antivirus software running on your machine and that it is updated
regularly. To use the University's license follow the list below.
- If you have any anti-virus program installed on your computer,
un-install it (many computers come with anti-virus software pre-installed-- it
is best to use the University's license since the pre-installed software will
require you to purchase a license to get the regular updates),
- Clicking on the Start button.
- Selecting Settings and then Control Panel.
- Double click on Add/Remove Programs.
- Clicking the Remove button for your current antivirus
- Login to Piperline, click on Additional Services and then
- Scroll down until you find “Sophos Antivirus 6.5 for
Windows” highlighted in red—click on it, click on the file name that appears
next to “Download Software” and then when prompted click on the Save button.
- Save savxp60sasfx.exe to your hard drive, then double-click
on the file to begin the installation. Click on the Install button and an
extraction process will take place. On the screen that appears next click on
the Next button and the installation will begin. When the process is done click
on the Finish button. Sophos is now installed and a blue shield will appear in
the system tray.
- Right-click the shield for configuration options. In order
keep virus defense patterns current, configure AutoUpdate to use the Sophos
website. When doing so, use the following credentials: username em01070693,
- See www.sophos.com for more information.
To uninstall from Windows XP, goto Start, Control Panel,
Add/Remove programs, find and highlight each Sophos item on the list and choose
to Remove (one item at a time)
To uninstall from Windows Vista, goto the Windows sphere,
Control Panel, Programs and Features, find and highlight each Sophos item on
the list and choose to Remove (one item at a time)
Need more help? Please contact the Help Desk by email or by
phone at 651-523.2220