Adopted by: Hamline University Student Congress
Owner: Dean of Students Office
Pertains to: All students
Description: Hamline University does not allow hazing by any individual or group.
Hamline University does not allow hazing by any individual or group. Hazing is defined as an activity which endangers or could endanger an individual’s physical or mental health and safety, humiliates, embarrasses, and/or causes personal discomfort regardless of the person’s willingness to participate. For the individual or group to determine whether their activities would qualify as hazing, they should ask themselves the following five questions. If the individual or group is not hazing, they should be able to answer "yes" to all questions.
- Will this activity achieve one or more aims of the individual or group?
- Would you be willing to perform this activity in front of a university administrator?
- Would you be willing to send a photograph of the activity to the parents of the member involved along with written details?
- Would you be prepared to go to court to defend the merit of this activity?
- Would you be willing to share a written description of the activity for other organizations to use?
This resolution was initiated in the Hamline University Student Congress and is endorsed by the Dean of Students in Student Affairs.