President's HouseThe first president's house was built in 1886 during President Bridgman's term. Bridgman painted it red and gray in 1895 to show his school spirit. The subsequent president's house was built in 1903, constructed by trustee Joseph M. Hackney '01 and his wife Jennie Hill Hackney '02. He and his family lived there for sometime before donating it to Hamline. It was built with eleven rooms, three fireplaces, and four baths. It was relocated, in 1944, to the southeast corner of Simpson and Hewitt Avenues when Drew Hall was constructed. In 1946, the basement was finished by adding an oil burner; a new roof and an additional room was added in 1953; in 1961 the baths were remodeled; new kitchen cabinets were installed in 1964; and the front entry was rebuilt in 1968 along with new paint, wallpaper and plastering. Finally, in 1988, alumna and decorator, JoAnn Hanson '58, restored the main floors of the White House to reflect the look of its early years. In 2005, Hamline University purchased a new residence for the president on Summit Avenue, and the building pictured below returned to its former name, the White House.